Assistant Director of ESL & Senior Teacher
Maryville College is seeking applicants for the position of Assistant Director of ESL & Senior Teacher. This is a full-time position with benefits.
*Required - Enter Requisition #1421
Job Status: Exempt, E-2
Job Summary: Coordinates the curricular portion of the ESL program at the Center for International Education (CIE) and teaches English as a Second Language (ESL), and assists with recruiting initiatives.
- Teaches ESL classes as appropriate, up to 20 hours per week
- ESL Program Development: Identifies ESL needs and develops a comprehensive plan for responding to those needs at Maryville College. Develops,implements, assesses and updates curriculum for the program. Analyzes the English language skill development needs of students using such tools as placement tests and other assessment instruments. Designs comprehensive methods of teaching English to students with varying academic preparation and cultural values. Monitors and evaluates learning results and makes needed program modifications. Researches professional practices of ESL learning and adopts those best suited to the College’s needs. Ensures adherence to AAIEP Accreditation policies
- ESL Program administration: Aids CIE teachers with curriculum, and substitutes as necessary. Oversees and conducts scoring and interpretation of ESL student English language tests, including developing and applying test standards. Determines and oversees the proper placement of students in classes based upon test scores and cultural criteria. Develops schedules of classes and services to accommodate the varying needs of students. Advises ESL students on academic matters; including academic progress and performance, level changes, academic and attendance policies, testing, orientation and evaluations. Consults with Director of International Education regarding operating budgets. Plans for and purchases supplies and equipment for optimum program operation, including book inventory and ordering
- Supervision of ESL staff: Performs classroom observations, advises and trains teachers, and conducts teacher evaluations. Recruits and recommends the selection of full-time and part-time staff members, including chairing or serving on search committees. Schedules and assigns staff to courses and services. Schedules and develops teacher-training workshops and regular teacher meetings. Provides on-going support to teachers; provides feedback and guidance, as well as handles complaints, issues and disciplinary actions. Reviews and evaluates performance of assigned staff, and conducts constructive performance reviews. Attends meetings of CIE staff; attends extracurricular functions of CIE when available.
- Assist with international recruiting activities for ESL: Recruit new students at overseas events, contribute to armchair recruiting initiatives and local public outreach.
- Professional Participation and Development: Attendance and participation at convocation and commencement ceremonies; aervice on assigned committees and task forces; attendance and participation at committee, staff, informational and professional meetings. All of these duties may involve attendance at evening or weekend events. The incumbent is required to maintain currency in the position’s required fields of professional expertise and competencies.
Specific Job Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: An understanding of adult learning theory, specifically instructional strategies for adult ESL education. Ability to develop, modify, and implement ESL curriculum and assess learning.Strong leadership, people management, team motivation and staff supervision skills. Strong organizational, interpersonal and excellent communication skills are required.Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and creative thinking abilities. Demonstrated computer skills.Strong demonstration of patience, cultural sensitivity and diplomacy. Strong record of academic excellence, including ability to teach multiple levels and across generations. Strong knowledge of ESL industry standards. Ability to travel domestically and internationally. The position directly supervises full-time and part-time teachers.
- Master's degree (M. A. or equivalent) in a related field; with strong ESL teaching experience (minimum 5-10 years).
- Cross-cultural or international experience
- Service-oriented, having the ability to relate well to a wide range of cultural groups and to be a willing and effective promoter of our program to prospective and current clients.
- Goal-oriented, a hands-on manager, and able to identify the need for-- and initiate-- action plans to continuously improve the services provided.
- Courses in business management, cross-cultural awareness, counseling, and ESL preferred.
- Minimum 2 years managing an ESL or educational program with full supervisory responsibilities preferred, including hiring and evaluating personnel.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com; complete the online employment application at www.maryvillecollege.edu, and include job requisition number 1421 on the application. Maryville College is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.