ER-6, 7 8 & 9: Sutainability-Focused, Sustainability-Related Course Inventory and Degree Programs at Maryville College
Below are the current departments that offer sustainability-focused or sustainability-related courses at Maryville College
Business and Organization Management
To see a listing of sustainability-related and sustainability-focused course offerings at Maryville College, including degree programs, please download the Sustainability Course Inventory.
ER-12: Sustainability-Focused Immersive Experience
Ecotourism, Arts & Culture in Costa Rica: Course Experiential Trip Abroad
Course description & objectives
This experiential course will have students travel to Costa Rica, and expose them to a series of artistic, cultural and ecotourism events and experiences in that nation. The goal of the course is to make participants more aware of the complexities created, and choices made, when immersed in a range of experiences where nature and modern society intersect.
Our course’s guiding question is: “In what ways do humans see their planet?”
It is expected that by the end of the course, students will be able to demonstrate competency in:
- The ability to travel and interact with local persons in developing and industrialized nations beyond just the surface level
- Understand the basic principles of ecotourism, sustainability and biodiversity as it is related to the region of Costa Rica and how it affects the local population
- Evaluate and analyze art and architecture from the region of Costa Rica and have a working knowledge of the culture and visual style of Pre-Columbian and Post modern Costa Rican artworks
- Awareness of the complexities created, and choices made, when immersed in a range of experiences where nature and modern society intersect.
- Ability to critically evaluate and analyze their travel interactions through written, verbal and visual forms of expression
-Gain a greater appreciation for the natural and human-made objects that we interact with everywhere on the planet
Download a syllabus of this offered course.
*not all credits being pursued for AASHE STARS rating are listed on this page. for further information about any STARS credit information, contact MC STARS Administrator, Adrienne Schwarte at email@example.com