Transfer Students

This section contains information for international students who have already completed some undergraduate coursework, either in the United States or abroad and who do  NOT need further English training before entering university level programs.  Our application process is simple.

If you first want to study English, then enter university-level programs when your English is proficient, please see the information about our conditional admission.

Basic Transfer Admissions Requirements

Students who have completed coursework at another college or university may be considered for admission to Maryville College in either the fall or spring semester. Generally, academic courses in which the student has earned a grade of "C" or above may be transferred and applied toward graduation requirements. College credits will be evaluated upon receipt of an official college transcript. Applicants are provided with an estimate of transfer credit upon request.  Generally, applicants wishing to transfer from other U.S. institutions of higher education should have earned a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5. 

Transfer applications from U.S. colleges and universities are evaluated under the following guidelines:

  • Applicants with 30 semester hours or more in college-level academic coursework should have earned a minimum grade point average of 2.50. High school transcripts and test scores are not required of students who meet these standards.
  • Applicants who have earned less than 30 semester hours in college-level work should have a minimum grade point average of 2.50 in college-level academic work and present a transcript of high school work and any standardized test scores that they may have (TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, ACT, etc.)

Transfer applications from institutions of higher education outside the U.S. are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

For your reference: typically, Maryville College international students have completed the following basic coursework in High School with good grades prior to admission to Maryville College:

  • Four years of English and 2 years another language (including your native language)
  • Three or more years of math
  • Two or more years of lab science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc.)
  • Two or more years of social science or history

Language Proficiency

International students with or without English proficiency may apply to Maryville College.

We do not require SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, EIKEN/STEP, PTE Academic or other standardized tests. However, the English proficiency tests (TOEFL, IELTS, EIKEN/STEP, PTE Academic) are recommended, to help us and to help you know your language ability.

If you do not have English proficiency test scores, or your scores are lower than required, you can still apply for conditional admission. You will be tested upon arrival at Maryville College and placed into appropriate classes depending on your scores here. Students who pass the proficiency exam can begin taking college-level courses and students who need more English training will be enrolled in the Intensive English (ESL) program. You may get college credit for your ESL studies (toward your degree at Maryville College). 

Scores required for unconditional admission

  • TOEFL IBT score of 74 (with no sub score below 18) or CBT score of 200 or paper-based score above 525 combined with demonstrated competency in essay writing
  • IELTS band score of 6.0 or higher
  • EIKEN (Step) score of Grade Pre-1
  • PTE Academic score of 50
TOEFL Information:

If you have any questions regarding TOEFL test dates and locations, please visit

IELTS Information:

IELTS is jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), British Council and IDP Education Australia, IELTS Australia. Please visit if you have any questions.

EIKEN Information:

For EIKEN/Step test, please visit

PTE Academic Information:

Find more information here here

  1. If you do NOT need further English training before entering university level programs, APPLY NOW.
  2. If you first want to study English, then enter university-level programs when your English is proficient, please see information about our conditional admission.

Note Regarding Language Proficiency: ALL new students are given an English proficiency test when they begin studies here; any student without the required scores who does not pass our English proficiency exam may be placed initially into our intensive English program (ESL). Those students can begin taking College courses once they have passed the proficiency exam given each semester.