S3: Scots Science Scholars
The Scots Science Scholars (S3) program provides enrichment and support for select students who are interested in STEM (science, technology, engineering or math) fields at MC. The 4-year program includes the following components:
- An all-expense paid on-campus summer bridge program prior to the start of your freshman year designed to give you early practice with lab and math skills that are necessary in STEM fields
- An $1150-stipend paid directly to you for attending the summer program
- A curriculum designed to build community and provide academic support, including a specialized first-year sequence tailored to appeal to the interests and needs of S3 scholars
- Research/leadership experience that is integrated with the Maryville College core curriculum, including many opportunities to begin research on exciting STEM projects with faculty at MC
- Research opportunities could include Great Smoky Mountains National Park, UTK research labs, and Oak Ridge National Lab
- A scholarship of $20,000 toward MC tuition (this scholarship would replace a student’s MC academic scholarship)
Why STEM Matters
- STEM fields are essential in advancing the vital needs of civilization: Water, Food, Energy, Housing, Medicine, Environmental Management, Transportation, Communication, and Defense.
- Presidents Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) projected 1,000,000 fewer STEM graduates than needed by 2018
- Nationwide, the attrition rate for college students interested in STEM is 40%
- STEM occupations are projected to grow by 17.0% from 2008 to 2018, compared to 9.8% growth for non-STEM occupations.
- STEM workers earn 26% more than their non-STEM counterparts.
- STEM occupations have lower unemployment rates than non-stem occupations
Note: Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.