The Department of Education randomly selects FAFSA information for a process called Verification. If you are selected for verification, Maryville College will be comparing your FAFSA information with your 2012 IRS Tax Return Transcript, information you supply on the Maryville College Verification Worksheet and other required financial documents. Federal regulations require us to collect this information before disbursing federal aid. If there are differences between your FAFSA and the verification documents, we will make the corrections and send the required changes electronically to the federal student aid processor to have your information reprocessed. No Federal Aid can be awarded until verification has been completed.
Verification 2013 - 2014
Check your Online Financial Aid System to see what verification documents you are required to submit to the MC Financial Aid Office.
- Visit the Online Financial Aid System Student Log In.
- Click on the Documents and Loan Information tab.
If your FAFSA is selected for verification, your completed verification worksheet and all required documentation are due in the Financial Aid Office by July 31, 2014. If extenuating circumstance prevent you from meeting this deadline, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
If you are required to submit a copy of your and/or your parents’ 2012 Tax Return Transcript(s), you must either correct your FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (option 1) or provide the MC Financial Aid Office with a copy of your and/or your parents’ IRS Tax Transcript(s) for 2012 (option 2). MC recommends students and parents choose option 1.
Option 1: IRS DATA Retrieval Tool
Note: you will be unable to select this option if you are married and filed separately, if a parent had a change of marital status after December 31, 2012, or if anyone filed an amended tax return.
- Log in as a Returning User to your 2013-2014 FAFSA.
- Click on “Make FAFSA Corrections” and enter your PIN and create a password.
- Click on Financial Information.
- Under Parent Financial Information, confirm that the filing status (first question) says “Already Completed.”
- Select your identity (mother or father) and enter your PIN. Click on the “LINK TO IRS” button.
- Follow the instructions on the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. Be sure to check the box and click on “Transfer Now.”
- When returned to the FAFSA website, enter your wages.
- Complete the IRS Data Retrieval Tool a second time under Student Financial Information if the student filed a tax return for 2012.
- Continue to the “SIGN & SUBMIT” section. Both the student and parent must sign the FAFSA using their PINs. Once signed, press “SUBMIT MY FAFSA NOW.”
- Still need help using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool? View this helpful video on YouTube provided by the University of California Santa Barbara. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W47_YTRVYD4
Option 2: Request an IRS Tax Transcript
Tax filers can request a 2012 IRS Tax Return Transcript free of charge from the IRS. It generally takes 5 to 10 days from the time the request was successfully made to the IRS to receive the transcript by mail. Once you have received your transcript, please send a copy to the MC Financial Aid Office by mail: Maryville College Financial Aid, 502 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Maryville, TN 37804, or by fax, 865-981-8084. Note: You must submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript as we are not permitted to accept copies of your actual tax return.
Online Request for IRS Tax Return Transcript
- Go to the IRS website.
- Under TOOLS select “Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript.”
- Click on “Order a Transcript.”
- Enter the tax payer’s social security number, date of birth, street address and zip code. If you filed jointly, you must use the primary taxpayer shown on your tax return. Be sure to type the street address exactly as it is on your tax return. However, if you have filed a change of address through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have an updated address on file.
- Click on “Continue.”
- In the Type of Transcript field, select “Return Transcript” and in the Tax Year field, select “2012.”
- When you receive your tax return transcript, be sure to keep a copy for your files.
- Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946.
- Follow the prompts to enter social security number and street address.
- Select the option to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Enter “2012” for the year of the transcript.
You may visit your nearest IRS office to obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript. Wait times may be long during peak hours.
If you are required to submit a Maryville College Verification Worksheet or a Maryville College Supplemental Worksheet:
- Download the worksheet from the Documents and Loan tab on your Online Financial Aid System.
- Complete the Verification Worksheet or Supplemental Worksheet in its entirety.
- If the student is a dependent, both the student and a parent must sign the Verification Worksheet or Supplemental Worksheet.
Submit to the MC Financial Aid Office your completed and signed Verification Worksheet (pages 3 –4 only), copies of your 2012 IRS Tax Return Transcripts (if required), copies of your 2012 W-2 and 1099 forms, and all other financial documents we have requested.
You may submit your documents by:
- Fax: 865-981-8084,
- Mail: Maryville College, Financial Aid, 502 E Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Maryville, TN 37804,
- Or bringing them to our office in 141 Fayerweather Hall.
NOTE: Please include Maryville College's School Code on your FAFSA: 003505