Beginning fall 2010, Maryville College (School Code 003505) began using the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program administered by the U.S. Department of Education in order to make the student loan process as easy as possible. All students (including new, transfer and continuing) and parents who choose to borrow through student loan programs, except the Alternative/Private loan industry, must have their Stafford and PLUS Loans borrowed/processed through the Direct Loan Program.
- All new Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized borrowers must complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Loan Counseling.
- All PLUS borrowers must complete a PLUS Loan Application and the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN).
If you are a continuing student who previously borrowed a student loan from a lender on MC's lender list, your lender will automatically be notified that you are still attending school. You will receive an automatic deferment of repayment on your previous loan while you are attending college. You must be enrolled in and attending at least 6 credit hours every semester to receive an automatic deferment.
Students MUST be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours before loan funds will be disbursed from the Direct Loan Program.
- Important: You will need your Department of Education issued PIN (the same PIN used for the FAFSA) in order to complete and electronically sign your new electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN) under the Direct Loan Program. If you have forgotten your PIN or do not yet have one, please go to www.pin.ed.gov to have your PIN sent to you.
- Have your social security number, date of birth and driver's license number accessible.
- You will also be required to provide two personal references (full name, address and telephone number) whom you have known for at least three years. Each reference provided must reside at a different U.S. address as well as be different from the student's address.
If you have both Direct Loans and loans from other lenders, before you repayment is scheduled to begin you can apply to consolidate your loans. This can greatly reduce the monthly payment on your loans. For more about consolidation, visit the Federal Direct Consolidation Loans Information Center.
Part One: Accepting Your Federal Direct Stafford Loan
You will need to log in to your MC Online Financial Aid System. You will then be able to view and accept your awards.
Part Two: Completing the Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling
To receive the Federal Stafford Loan with Maryville College, you will need to complete the Stafford Direct Loan Entrance Counseling at StudentLoans.gov. After you complete the entrance counseling, you will be given a confirmation number. Please print this and keep it for your records. Maryville College will be notified that you completed your entrance counseling.
Part Three: Complete an Electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Once you have accepted your loan, you will need to complete your Master Promissory Note with Direct Lending. To complete your MPN, you will need to go to the Direct Loan MPN website and click on the green "Sign In" tab. Remember that you will need your Department of Education issued PIN to begin the process.
An MPN can be completed in 9 steps. We estimate that it will take 30 minutes to complete the MPN process. Make sure you allow enough time to complete the entire process in a single session. If you exit the website before submitting your signed MPN in Step 8 and return to the site later, you will have to start the process over beginning with Step 1.
1. PIN Registration
2. Disclosure and Consent
3. Provide Name and School
4. Complete MPN
5. Review/Read Draft MPN
6. Sign Your MPN
7. Review Signed MPN/Enter Confirmation Code
8. Confirm Acceptance of MPN Terms and Submit MPN
9. Success! Now Print Your MPN
Once you complete the MPN process correctly, Maryville College will receive notification electronically that you have completed your MPN.