Working for Residence Life
Each year the Residence Life Office hires a number of Maryville College students to help in facilitating the campus residential communities. We hire students to be Resident Assistants during the academic year through and extensive application and interview process. We also hire Summer Resident Assistants who help the students who live on campus during the summer months. Information about each position can be found in the following information.
Resident Assistant Job Description
Each floor or wing is staffed with one Resident Assistant (RA). RAs are upper-class students who plan activities and programs for the floor, serve as a resource for the residents on the floor, and assist residents with getting involved in campus life. Each RA is trained in helping skills, crisis intervention, conflict mediation, and other areas to help residents cope with the any issues they might experience.
Resident Assistants 2015 - 2016
The application process for the 2015 - 2016 has ended. Thank you to all who applied to be a Resident Assistant. We had 70 applicants and were able to offer positions to 36 students. While we hate disappointing anyone, we appreciate students taking the time and putting for the energy to apply!
For further information, contact Ben Wicker, Assistant Director of Residence Life, at 865-981-8193 or email@example.com.
Resident Assistant Compensation
- $1950 stipend for the year
- Single room at the double-occupancy room rate
- Grant for half of the cost of the RA's room
- Free parking permit
- Development of marketable, resume-building skills
- It's fun!
Summer 2015 Resident Assistants
Keep a look out for the application period for the 2015 Summer RA positions. The period of application usually begins after spring break. The Summer RA is a part-time, live-in position that provides free room for the term of employment. The term of employment is from Monday, May 18 – Sunday, August 17, 2015.
Summer RA Application
March 23 Applications are available
April 10 Applications and reference forms are DUE
April 20 – 23 Individual interviews as scheduled
Download the Summer RA Application. Print off and return, completed, to the Residence Life Office by Friday, April 10, 2015.
Summer RA Job Description & Responsibilities
- Share evening hall coverage duties with other staff members, approximately one night per week and one weekend per month.
- Prepare necessary reports and records as directed by the Summer Resident Director and/or Senior Summer RA.
- Assist with check-in/check-out of residents.
- Establish and maintain a good rapport with students. Create and execute one social program for residents.
- Be alert to problems or potential problems of residents; be able to confront and counsel (through active listening, empathy and support) these individuals and refer to a professional staff member when necessary. Respect confidentiality of personal information shared by another student or staff member.
- Know and comply with Maryville College policies and procedures, explain and implement them in the hall.
- Stress to residents the importance of cooperation and concern for others and actively confront those students who fail to comply with residence hall policies or who violate other resident's rights.
- Serve as a campus resource for residents. Be aware of services provided by various offices on campus.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Residence Life Office, as well as additional expectations requested by the Summer Resident Director, to ensure proper functioning of the residence hall.