Job Description and Requirements:
The Maryville College conference program is designed to serve community groups in need of housing, meals, meeting and/or athletic facilities for camps and conferences and special events on campus. To meet the demand of the summer program, students are hired for Conference Assistant (CA) positions. The role of the CA is energetic and fast-paced in the daily routine of hosting summer groups on campus. Job duties include various tasks related to the department, some of which are registration of campers, posting campus signage, housing assignments, room setups, linen preparation and delivery, office work and other miscellaneous assignments.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- At least 2.25 GPA
- Available for full-time employment (40 hours per week) – including nights and weekends
- Additional time commitments not permitted (i.e. another job, summer school, volunteer work, etc)
- Ability to lift 20 lbs or more
- Maturity and commitment; reliability and flexibility
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines, both independently and as part of a team
- Detail oriented; strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Must live on campus and be familiar with campus facilities
- Must begin and end employment period: May 28, 2013 and July 31, 2013
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR CONFERENCE ASSISTANT:
- Prepare residence hall for conference guests, which includes but is not limited to creating signs, bulletin boards, handling linen, checking keys, room inspections and preparing check-in/out materials, collecting fees from camp/conference attendees as needed.
- Perform and/or assist with check-in/out for each conference. This includes handling keys and meal tickets, working with conference software, updating housing assignments, etc.
- Be on-call in the residence hall when it is occupied by conference guests. These duties include, but are not limited to securing the building, performing rounds and being available to assist guests in the event of an emergency, lockouts or other concerns.
- Perform routine maintenance checks of residence hall and maintain key inventory.
- Monitor conference guest conduct and adherence to campus policies.
- Contact group leaders regularly to ensure needs are being met.
- Assist with room setups as needed
- Attend all training sessions and staff meetings
- Prepare paperwork and reports using Word, Excel, and The Tartan
- Complete special projects and conference-related duties as assigned by Corporate Sales and Events staff
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Length of Employment: May 28,2013 to July 31, 2013
- Pay Schedule: CA pay (disbursed on work study pay schedule) is $2610 (before taxes); free housing and a $300 gold card.
- Work Schedule: An average work week is approximately 40 hours and is spread over all seven days of the week. Every effort will be made to allow two days off each week. Details will be provided upon request.
- Availability: Every effort is made to schedule work loads in advance, but all employees are expected to adjust personal schedules if program demands change.
- Appearance: Formal dress is not required, but when on duty, Conference staff will present a neat and clean appearance. Staff shirts will be provided for use at work. Tan (preferred) or black shorts, slacks or skirts must be worn on registration and check-out days. On other days, clean, intact, shorts, slacks or skirts should be worn unless otherwise directed. No torn or faded clothing will be permitted.
- Rules and Regulations: All student staff will comply with Maryville College rules and regulations and will instruct and help conference guests to do likewise. Student staff is required to undergo background checks and take child protection training.