Main | Curriculum Vitae | My Courses | Advising | Biology Careers | Leukemia Page
Jerilyn Mitchell Swann, Ph.D.
Maryville College, 502 E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy, Maryville, Tennessee, 37804
Office: (865) 981-8068; Fax (865) 981-8175
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Webpage: http://www.maryvillecollege.edu/faculty/jswann
Exploration of biology and liberal arts through instruction, undergraduate research, and service
Ph.D. Zoology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1998
Dissertation: Evaluation of two in vitro ciliated epithelial systems, dog trachea and frog palate, for potential as screens for acute inhalation toxicity
M.S. Zoology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1994
Thesis: The functional and ultrastructural effects of the of the organophosphorous insecticides DursbanTM and LorsbanTM on the ciliated epithelium of the frog palate in vitro
B.S. Zoology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1992
Interim Chair, Division of Natural Sciences, Maryville College, June 2011 to present
Associate Professor of Biology, Maryville College, 2004-present
Assistant Professor of Biology, Maryville College, 1999-2004
Instructor, Itawamba Community College, Fulton, MS, 1997-1999
Maryville College (1999-present)
Biology 115 – Principles of Cellular Biology with Lab
Biology 299 – Biology Research Methods
Biology 301 – Cellular and Tissue Biology with Lab
Biology 351 & 352 – Senior Study
Biology 413 – Microbial Ecology – new course with Lab
Science 150 – Introduction to Natural Sciences with Lab
Science 350 – Science and Medicine; Hot Topics in Cell Biology
FRS 120 – Perspectives on the Individual
FRS 130 – Perspectives on the Environment – Solid Waste
FRS 140 – Perspectives on the American Community – The Working Poor; The Bill of Rights
Itawamba Community College (1997-1999)
Major’s Biology Laboratory
Environmental Science – new course
- Three poster presentations with 3 students, Stephen Revilla, Rebecca Heard, and Tyler Carter, at 51st Annual Meeting of the American Society for Cell Biology, Denver, CO, December 2011. Poster titles: Evaluation of Different Nutrient Medias on Population Growth of Tetrahymena pyriformis; Effect of Centrifugation on Viability of the Ciliated Protist Tetrahymena pyriformis; and Improvement of Absorbance Measurements of Tetrahymena pyriformis Using the Vital Stain Acridine Orange/Ethidium Bromide.
- Project coordinator for Undergraduate Science Education and Research Institute at Maryville College, supervising 3 students in the cell biology lab, Summer, 2011.
- Poster presenter with student Abby Ogle at 50th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Cell Biology, Philadelphia, PA, December 2010. Poster title: Ethidium Bromide/Acridine Orange Staining Method for Counting Cell Populations of Tetrahymena pyriformis
- Final Reviewer for one chapter of Freeman’s Biological Sciences, Benjamin Cummings Publishing Company, June, 2009
- Participant, Education Workshop on Quantitative Biology and Modeling, 48th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Cell Biology, San Francisco, CA, December 2008
- Content and art program reviewer for Benjamin Cummings Publishing Company for 3 chapters of Scott Freeman’s Biological Sciences, 3rd edition textbook, June, 2008
- Participant in National Academic Advising Association’s “Advising by Design” workshop February, 2008
- Participant in Leadership for Diversity workshop/seminar at National Coalition-Building Institute, November 2007 & August 2008
- Presentation and Roundtable Discussion at 25th Annual Conference on the First-Year Experience, Atlanta, GA, February 2006
- 2003 Wye Fellow at the Aspen Institute’s Wye Faculty Seminar, Baltimore, MD
- Team leader for MC group participating in Service-Learning Institute, Florida Campus Compact, April 2002
- Guest Speaker, UT Knoxville’s Service-Learning Conversation, April 2002
- Poster presentation at 1999 Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, New Orleans, LA
Abstact: Heard RE, Revilla SF, Carter TR, Swann JM (2011) Evaluation of Different Nutrient Medias on Population Growth of Tetrahymena pyriformis. Molecular Biology of the Cell 22 (suppl):2214.
Abstract: Carter TR, Heard RE, Revilla SF, Swann JM (2011) Effect of Centrifugation on Viability of the Ciliated Protist Tetrahymena pyriformis. Molecular Biology of the Cell 22 (suppl):2234.
Abstract: Revilla SF, Carter TR, Heard RE, Swann JM (2011) Improvement of Absorbance Measurements of Tetrahymena pyriformis Using the Vital Stain Acridine Orange/Ethidium Bromide. Molecular Biology of the Cell 22 (suppl):2242.
Abstract: Ogle AE, Swann JM (2010) Ethidium Bromide/Acridine Orange Staining Method for Counting Cell Populations of Tetrahymena pyriformis. Molecular Biology of the Cell 21(4299):3141.
Swann JM, Schultz TW, Kennedy JR (1999) Evaluation of two in vitro ciliated epithelial systems, dog trachea and frog palate, for potential as screens for sensory irritation. In Vitro and Molecular Toxicology 12(1):17-32
Swann JM, Schultz TW, Kennedy JR (1996) The effects of the organophosphorous insecticides DursbanTM and LorsbanTM on the ciliated epithelium of the frog palate in vitro. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 30:188-194
Swann JM, Carver TA, Schultz TW (1995) Mechanism-based structure-toxicity relationships for Chlorella vulgaris. Toxicology Modeling 1(2):111-121
Kucera SP, Swann JM, Kennedy JR, Schultz TW (1995) The effects of benomyl and its breakdown products carbendazim and butyl isocyanate on the structure and function of tracheal ciliated cells. Journal of Environmental Science and Health B30(6):779-799
Academic and Administrative Service at Maryville College
- Interim Chair, Natural Sciences Division, 2011-2012
- Program Director for Department of Education/Funds for the Improvement of Post-Secondary Education congressionally appropriated $300,000 grant to pilot the Undergraduate Science Education and Research Institute at Maryville College, 2011-2012
- Subtopic Leader for FRS 130 Solid Waste, January 2010, 2011
- Director/Steering Committee Chair, National Coalition Building Institute (NCBI) Maryville College Campus Affiliate, 2009-present
- Director, NCBI MC Campus Affiliate, 2008-2009
- Convener, First-Year Experience Coordinating Group, 2008-2009; Member, 2005-2009
- Faculty Personnel Standards Committee – 2006-2008
- Advising Fact-Finding Group – 2008
- Curriculum Sub-Committee for Diversity Task Force, 2008
- Developer and Coordinator, Presidential Scholars Enrichment Program, 2004-2008
- Health Insurance Advisory Group – 2006-present
- Faculty Liaison Committee – 2002-2005
- Weekly Schedule Task Force – 2003-2004
- Co-Coordinator, Work Group investigating creation of Center for Strong Communities
- National Advisory Council Discussion Facilitator, September 2002
- Program Coordinator, Rural College-Community Summit, Summer 2002
- Guest lectures for Dr. Angelia Gibson’s Science 350, Spring 2002; Dr. Mark O’Gorman’s Introductory Environmental Issues, Spring 2000, 2001 & 2002
- Institutional Effectiveness and Research Committee – 2001-2003
- Coordinator, Natural Sciences Five-Year Division Review – 2000-2001
- Faculty Development Committee 2000-2001 – including webpage development and maintenance
- Service-Learning component of Introductory Cellular Biology course placed students in local school systems and Habitat for Humanity community engaging younger students in hands-on science activities, 2000, 2002, 2009, 2010
- Co-presenter with Dr. Angelia Gibson, “The War on Cancer: 36 years and the Battle Rages On”, for the Maryville College Science Literacy Seminar Series, April 30, 2008
- Science Olympiad - 2002, 2003
- Guest Speaker, American Cancer Society Relay for Life Kickoff Reception, April 2002
- Co-Chair, MC United Way Campaign, Fall 2001
- Participated in Kin Takahashi Campus Improvement Week, Summer 2000
- Science Fair judge for Rockford School, November 1999
- Committee member for Isla Schuch’s (local high school student) Senior Independent Study Project on “The Ecology of the Space Station” (1998-1999), Fulton, Mississippi
- Take Your Daughter to Work Day (1994, 1995) – sponsored by UT graduate students for underprivileged middle school students
Awards and Honors
- Project Supervisor of 3 students in MC Undergraduate Science and Education Research Institute, Summer 2011, summer salary
- Faculty Development Grant for National Coalition Building Institute Campus Conference, November 2009, registration and travel costs
- Faculty Development Grant for NCBI Associates Meeting & Training Institute, August 2008, registration and travel costs
- Faculty Development Grant for NCBI Training Institute, November 2007, registration and travel costs
- Lilly Faculty Exploration of Vocation Grant, Summer 2002
- Faculty Grant from East Tennessee Consortium for Service-Learning, 2000
- ICC Faculty Grant for Improvement of Biology Laboratory Experience, 1998-1999
- Science Alliance Award, 1996, 1993 (departmental graduate student recognition)
- First Place, poster competition, Southeast Regional Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, 1994
- Isabel Griscom Scholarship, 1992-1993; Fred M. Roddy Scholarship, 1988-1992
- Phi Beta Kappa (UT Knoxville chapter, 1992)
American Society for Cell Biology; American Association for the Advancement of Science; National Science Teachers Association
Recent Senior Study students and titles
Abby Ogle, 2010. Ethidium Bromide/Acridine Orange Staining Method for Counting Cell Populations of Tetrahymena pyriformis.
Jennifer Oden, 2009. Effects of bis-phenol A (BPA) on cell cultures of Tetrahymena pyriformis.
Daniell, Bradley, 2008, The Feeding Habits and Associated Behaviors of Danio rerio in the Light and Dark Cycle.
Kara Whitlock, 2008, Fluorescent Technology in Medulloblastoma Research.
Kayleigh McDaniel, 2008, Effects of application of EDTA on tooth surfaces as evaluated by scanning electron microscopy using trimethylsilane and critical point liquid CO2 drying techniques.
Emily Allen, 2007, Effects of Round-UpTM and its active ingredient glyphosate on the hepatocytic ultrastructure of Xenopus laevis.
Anya Barlozhetskaya, 2006, Effects of atrazine on liver tissue of Xenopus laevis tadpoles stage 46.
Logan Hurst, 2006, Effects of the herbicide atrazine on cellular ultrastructure of hepatocytes of Xenopus laevis frogs stage 48-50.
Heather Hedden, 2006, Effects of the herbicide atrazine on cellular ultrastructure of hepatocytes of Xenopus laevis tadpoles.
Lauren Ward, 2006, Effects of the herbicide atrazine on cellular ultrastructure of hepatocytes of Xenopus laevis juveniles.