Programs are designed for Maryville College students to have an opportunity to study abroad at minimum cost, and for a variety of durations.

Students may choose to study abroad for a semester on a Maryville College Bilateral or ISEP Exchange or an ISEP-Direct program. Students can also choose to study abroad during the summer for four to eight weeks, or for a January Term for two or three weeks.

Through Maryville College study abroad programs you have access to more than 100 study sites in Africa, Asia, Canada, Europe, Latin America, and the South Pacific.

In addition to studying abroad, students may choose to pursue a volunteer, internship or work abroad opportunity.

Visit the Study Abroad Programs website for more information on each of these types of programs.

What are the general criteria for participating in these programs?

Junior or senior standing at the time of participation. Demonstrated successful academic performance. MC Direct Exchanges: usually an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher; ISEP Exchanges: usually an overall GPA of 2.75 or higher (Higher GPA requirement is due to the fact that ISEP exchanges are very competitive). Successful completion of application and interview process. In addition, potential for adjustment to a foreign setting, preparedness for the experience, and evidence that the student will be a good representative of the College and country are examined by the International Programming Committee.

Is language proficiency required to participate in the programs?

Maryville College offers options to study abroad in both environments where a second language is required, and also environments where students can study in English. For programs offered in a second language, there are generally options for beginners and  options for students who have taken four to six college semesters of a language. Programs offered in English may be located in countries where English is the native language, as well as in countries where another language is spoken, but university coursework is completed in English.

When and how do I apply for the programs?

An application can be obtained from the Center for International Education (Bartlett 332) or online. The application deadlines are as follows: MC Direct Exchanges, October 1 for spring placement, March 1 for fall or summer placement. ISEP's deadlines: April 15 for the following spring placement, November 15 for the following summer or fall placement. Students who receive financial aid must also consult the Director of Financial Aid.

How much do the programs cost?

You will pay your regular tuition and fees to Maryville College, so these costs are not different from a semester at MC. Financial aid and grants are available. Room and board fees vary according to arrangements with the particular institution. Also, students are responsible for health insurance through a personal policy, travel, books, and fees for a passport and, if necessary, a visa. For ISEP Exchanges only , you pay tuition, room, and board to Maryville, plus an ISEP application fee of $315.

Am I eligible for financial aid to participate in these programs?

Yes, as long as you are participating in MC Study Abroad Programs (Direct Exchange or ISEP). Though you are abroad, you are still considered an MC student. You are thus eligible for financial aid if you qualify. With very early and careful planning, additional expenses for study abroad may be figured into the overall “cost of education” for financial aid purposes. In some cases, this may result in increased financial aid. NOTE: for the summer program in France, regular institutional funds are not available, but student loans are possible if you are eligible for loans as part of your financial aid package at MC.

Are there special grants for MC students studying abroad?

Yes. There are a limited number of transportation grants (up to $2000 each) available through the Ragsdale International Scholarship Program. Awards are competitive and based on financial need. You are encouraged to apply. Deadlines are the same as the study abroad application. Ragsdale applications are available online or from the Center for International Education (Bartlett Hall 332).

Will all the credits I earn while abroad transfer to MC?

Yes, as long as you are participating in MC Study Abroad Programs. However, before you leave you need to work closely with your academic advisor and the Registrar so that every credit you earn while abroad will be transferred back to MC and counted toward your gradation.

Will grades I earn at foreign institutions affect my grade point average (GPA) at MC?

Grades earned at any institution with which MC has a formal agreement will be factored into your GPA here at MC. Study abroad in other programs is treated as transfer credit.

How many credit hours am I expected to earn while abroad?

Normally around 15 credit hours per semester.

Where do I stay while studying at the host institution?

Either in a university dormitory or with a family arranged by the host institution.

Will a study abroad program delay graduation?

Not necessarily. Careful prior planning with your academic advisor, the Registrar, and the International Programming Committee should be done to determine whether a delay in graduation will occur.

I am aware of study abroad programs sponsored by other colleges and universities. Can I participate in other programs of my choice instead of the MC Study Abroad Programs as described?

Yes. MC has an informal arrangement with Alma College in Michigan for students wanting to study in Spain, Mexico, France, or Germany. This program serves the Spanish major, French minor, and German minor. Students must have completed the second-year foreign language course sequence prior to participation. The College also has an arrangement with Kalamazoo College for those interested in Africa. The student is also responsible for tuition costs that exceed the amount of MC tuition. If you participate in some other program, you will not be considered an MC student while abroad. Thus, you will not be eligible for financial aid as an MC student, nor will the credits you earn automatically transfer to MC.

I would like to have an experience abroad but do not wish to enroll in a course of study. Is there an alternative experience available?

A Work Abroad program is a relatively inexpensive alternative. The International Cooperative Education (ICE) program allows students to immerse themselves in foreign culture by placing them in summer jobs in any of the following countries: Belgium, France, Switzerland, Germany, Finland, Austria, Luxembourg, Ukraine, Hong Kong, and Singapore. The range of jobs is extensive, and placement depends upon a student’s interests and linguistic capabilities. Through the Council for International Educational Exchange (CIEE), you may spend up to six months working in Britain, Ireland, France, Germany, New Zealand, Costa Rica, or Jamaica. Language ability (equivalent of two years) is required for work in France, Germany and Costa Rica. Through the JET program in Japan, you can teach English as a foreign language to Japanese students. For more information on JET, contact Kelly Franklin, Director of International Services.

What travel documents do I need?

Passport. This is required for travel to and from a foreign country. Applications can be obtained at designated U.S. post offices. Allow a minimum of six weeks (longer during April - September) for processing. Visa. Some countries require a visa for study abroad. Contact Dr. Chad Berry for details. Certificate of Vaccination. Some countries require proof of vaccination for entry into the country. Contact Dr. Chad Berry for details. International Student I.D. This is a useful, optional document that entitles the student to numerous discounts and travel benefits. It can be purchased at the MC International House.

Where can I get more information about the program?

The International Programming Committee, consisting of faculty and two student members, will assist you. For more information, contact the Center for International Education (Bartlett 332) or Dr. Chad Berry, Chair of the Committee, in Anderson 205C.