Nov. 22, 2010
Contact: Holly Jackson-Sullivan,
VP for Advancement and Community Relations
At the Alumni Board Meeting and Reception held Oct. 23 in the Alumni Gymnasium, members for the 25th, 40th and 50th reunion classes proudly presented checks reflective of their reunion fundraising efforts, resulting in over $750,000 in total impact while specifically raising roughly $362,000 to assist with various current projects on campus.
The Class of 1985, represented by Kandis Schram, raised $5,810 to be used toward the ground floor entranceway in Anderson Hall. With 41 percent class participation and the addition of three new Society of 1819 members, their class gift has a total impact to the College of $115,810. Members of the 1985 Steering and Communications Committee included Melissa Walker, Maelea Morrison Galyon, Deangelo McDaniel, Dan Bouch, Jerry Vagnier and Mimi Chesney-Williams.
Jeff Coghill represented the Class of 1970. This class raised $212,979 to be used toward joint efforts combined with the classes of 1968 and 1969 to provide funds for the reception area in Anderson Hall as well as establish a 1968, 1969 and 1970 endowed scholarship. With 53 percent class participation and the addition of five new Society of 1819 members, their class gift has a total impact to the College of $295,279. Members of the 1970 Steering and Communications Committee included Jeff Coghill, Steve Ellis, Harry Burnett, Mary Lois Brugler, Bill Liebert, Chris Lamm, Ross Hamory and Rick Ziegler.
The 50th reunion class of 1960 was represented by Doug Bunker. This class raised $143,224 to be used for the establishment of a new Class of 1960 Endowed Scholarship and funding a classroom renovation in Anderson Hall. With the addition of two new Society of 1819 members, their class gift has a total impact to the College of $343,224. Including gifts made in honor and in memory of classmates, the Class of 1960 can boast 100 percent class participation! Steering and Communications Committee members included Rufus Bowers, Doug Bunker, Dona Sarver Coates, Carolyn Thomas Bair, Rosemary Lee Potter, Sondra Wagner Ellis, Bryant Cureton, Becky Clopper Wheeler, Margaret Sample Steptoe and Linda Messer Burger.
“Special thanks to all of the reunion classes for their hard work to date!,” said Holly Jackson-Sullivan, vice president for advancement and community relations. “As a reminder, gifts and pledge can still be added to these totals until the end of the fiscal year – May 31, 2011 – and will be counted toward final class fundraising numbers.”
For more information about reunion giving, Jackson-Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 865.273.8884.
Maryville College is ideally situated in Maryville, Tenn., between the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Knoxville, the state‘s third largest city. Founded in 1819, it is the 12th oldest institution of higher learning in the South and maintains an affiliation with the Presbyterian Church (USA). Known for its academic rigor and its focus on the liberal arts, Maryville is where students come to stretch their minds, stretch themselves and learn how to make a difference in the world. Total enrollment for the fall 2012 semester was 1,093.