New MC residence hall dedicated in Oct. 25 ceremony
October 20, 2003
David Rasnake, Communications Assistant
The Maryville College community will officially dedicate the most recent addition to its campus during an 11 a.m. ceremony, scheduled for Oct. 25.
Lloyd Hall, a four-story residence hall completed early this year, will be dedicated as part of the College's Homecoming weekend, held Oct. 24 through 26.
The new facility, named in honor of the College's sixth president, Ralph Waldo Lloyd, and his wife, Margaret Bell Lloyd, was built adjacent to the site of the original Lloyd Hall.
College officials broke ground on the new structure last October. Designed by McCarty Holsaple McCarty, contracted by Partners Development and constructed by Denark, the 150-bed facility was completed in 10 months. Students have occupied new Lloyd Hall since the beginning of the current academic year.
Maryville College alumni Vernon Lloyd, Hal Lloyd and Louise Lloyd Palm, surviving children of Dr. and Mrs. Lloyd, will be present at the event to speak on behalf of the entire Lloyd family.
Other speakers at the ceremony include College administrators Dr. Bill Seymour, vice president and dean of students, and Mark Cate, vice president for advancement and admissions. President of the College, Dr. Gerald Gibson, will give the dedication address. Christie Latimer, president of the Student Government Association and member of the Class of 2004, is also slated to speak at the event. Rev. Anne McKee will offer the dedication prayer.
Lloyd Hall will be open for tours and public viewing immediately following the dedication ceremony and ribbon cutting. The public is cordially invited to attend.
Modern amenities in a new facility
With its suite-style living and numerous modern amenities, Lloyd Hall is already garnering praise from Maryville College students. The facility houses 33 four-person and four three-person suites in its upper three floors; additionally, two ground-floor apartments house two students apiece. Twelve suites feature full kitchens, and the rest have "kitchenettes" with a sink and space for small refrigerators and microwaves.
Every suite has its own bathrooms and living spaces; tables, chairs and couches are provided. Each level of the four-story hall also features a full kitchen with stove and refrigerator, a lounge area and a study room.
Notably, the new residence hall has adopted a wellness theme. Programming for residents aims to promote a healthy lifestyle, with students agreeing to abstain from tobacco, alcohol and illegal drugs while residing in Lloyd.
"The addition of new Lloyd Hall has greatly elevated the overall quality of residential environments available to our students," notes vice president and dean of students Seymour. "Students who live in the new building are thrilled. In addition, we are very pleased with the implementation of a ‘substance-free' theme for Lloyd Hall."
The first Lloyd Hall
Completed in 1959, the first Lloyd Hall—officially, the Margaret Bell Lloyd Residence for Women—housed Maryville College students until the end of the 2003 school year. The two-story, 96-bed facility had become less popular in recent years due to the building's antiquated plumbing and electrical system and lack of air conditioning.
The decision to replace the 43-year-old facility was made after College officials determined the cost of need renovations and updates to be higher than fiscal responsibility would allow. The original Lloyd Hall was razed during the summer.
Maryville College is ideally situated in Maryville, Tenn., between the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Knoxville, the state's third largest city. Founded in 1819, it is the 12th oldest institution of higher learning in the South and maintains an affiliation with the Presbyterian Church (USA). Known for offering its students a rigorous and highly personal experience that includes an undergraduate research requirement, Maryville College is a nationally ranked institution of higher learning that successfully joins the liberal arts and professional preparation. Total enrollment for the fall 2013 semester is 1,168.