MC Concert Choir's "The Road Not Taken" spring choir tour itinerary set
Feb. 1, 2011
Contact: Chloe Kennedy, News and New Media Writer
The itinerary has been set for the Maryville College Concert Choir’s annual spring Choir Tour, with performances scheduled for churches and high schools in and near Knoxville, Tenn.; Nashville, Tenn.; Chattanooga, Tenn.; and Atlanta, Ga.
One highlight of the tour is a performance at the Scarritt-Bennett Center’s Wightman Chapel in Nashville on March 10 at 7 p.m. A reception will follow the performance at 8 p.m.
“The Scarritt-Bennett Center is an educational center, committed to empowerment through cross-cultural understanding, education, creativity and spiritual renewal,” said Stacey Wilner, coordinator of choral music at Maryville College. “The chapel at Scarritt-Bennett, called the Wightman Chapel, is a stunning gothic cathedral, built in 1928 and on the National Historic Register. Dr. Martin Luther King spoke there as part of a peaceful campus demonstration during the civil rights movement.”
The theme of the 2011 tour is “The Road Not Taken.” Choir members selected the theme because they will perform Randall Thompson’s choir arrangement “The Road Not Taken,” which is based on the poem by Robert Frost.
“The students really identified with it,” Wilner said.
Wilner said each performance will include “something that will appeal to everyone,” including traditional choral selections, spirituals and even several selections with percussion.
Since the 1940s, choir members have spent their Spring Break on tour. Last year’s tour took the choir to the Biltmore House and Gardens in Asheville, N.C.
Ibbie Jack Muntz, a 1967 alumna of the College and former choir member, said being a part of the musical group made her world “better for a lifetime” and encouraged other people – especially alumni choir members along the tour route – to attend the performances.
“Maryville’s rich history, revered tradition and strong commitment to excellence in the choral art live on through this choir,” she said. “The talented student-singers on this 2011 tour are eager to share their abundant gifts of music.
“Experience the joy! Hear their songs! Your world will be better, too!” Muntz added.
The traditional Choir Tour Send-Off is scheduled for 11 a.m., March 10, in the Clayton Center for the Arts’ William Baxter Lee III Grand Foyer. The choir will perform a mini-concert, which is open to the public.
The choir’s annual Homecoming Concert is scheduled for 8 p.m., March 25, in the Clayton Center.
The tour itinerary is as follows:
- Sunday, Feb. 6, 11 a.m. – Second Presbyterian Church, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Thursday, March 3, 7:30 p.m. – Church Street United Methodist Church, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Thursday, March 10, 11 a.m. – Choir Tour Send-Off in Clayton Center for the Arts, Maryville, Tenn.
- Thursday, March 10, 7 p.m. – Scarritt-Bennett Center, Nashville, Tenn.
- Friday, March 11, 9:10 a.m. – Pope John Paul II High School, Hendersonville, Tenn.
- Friday, March 11, 7 p.m. – First Presbyterian Church, Cartersville, Ga.
- Sunday, March 13, 11 a.m. service – St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church, Dunwoody, Ga.
- Sunday, March 13, 7 p.m. – Rivermont Presbyterian Church, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Monday, March 14, 9:20 a.m. – Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Monday, March 14, 1 p.m. – Baylor School, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Friday, March 25, 8 p.m. – Homecoming Concert, Clayton Center for the Arts, Maryville, Tenn.
- Tuesday, April 5, 6 p.m. – First Baptist Church of Tellico Village, Loudon, Tenn.
- Saturday, April 9, 4:15 p.m. – Rossini Festival, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Saturday, April 15, 10:30 a.m. – Concert Choir at Presidential Inauguration, Maryville, Tenn.
- Tuesday, April 26, 7 p.m. – Spring Invitational High School Choir Festival
Concerts are free and open to the public. Donations to the choir are always appreciated.
For more information about the choir tour, please contact Wilner at email@example.com or 865.981.8151.
For information about the Scarritt-Bennett performance, please contact Carrie McConkey, regional advancement officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865.981.8197.