2004 Choir Tour program highlights College Concert Choir's versatility
February 27, 2004
David Rasnake, Communications Assistant
The program for the Maryville College Concert Choir's annual spring Choir Tour has been set: the 36-member choir will perform selections from across the nation and around the world on its five-state tour, which begins March 12.
Concerts are planned for stops in and near Cincinnati, Ohio; Indianapolis, Ind.; Chicago, Ill.; Louisville, Ky.; and Murfreesboro, Tenn.
The traditional Choir Tour Send-Off is scheduled for 10 a.m., March 12, at Bartlett Hall. Prior to boarding the bus, the choir will give a free mini-concert in the atrium of Bartlett Hall that is open to the public.
The 2004 tour, entitled "The Sound of Light," features musical selections drawn from the traditional choral repertoire and the American musical experience. An entire section of the program is devoted to world music, showcasing the group's versatility and adaptability. Additionally, the program opens with three numbers, including "O Whistle and I'll Come To Ye," that present the musical traditions of Scotland – "in light of Maryville College's Scottish heritage," according to the tour program. Amusing and contemporary selections by the small ensemble Off Kilter are also included in the program.
Selections from the program include "Ave Marie," "Locus Iste" by Anton Bruckner, Vivaldi's "Gloria" and the spiritual "John, the Revelator."
The tour itinerary is as follows:
- Fri., March 12, 8 p.m. concert at Venice Presbyterian Church in Ross, Ohio. Prior to the concert, alumni, parents and friends of the College are invited to a 6 p.m. potluck dinner at the church. Bring a dish!
- Sun., March 14, 11 a.m. worship service at Fairview Presbyterian Church in Indianapolis.
- Sun., March 14, 6:30 p.m. vesper service at Fourth Presbyterian Church in Chicago.
- Tues., March 16, 7 p.m. concert at Central Presbyterian Church in Louisville. Alumni and other college friends are invited to a reception following the concert.
- Wed., March 17, 11 a.m. chapel service at the Presbyterian Center in Louisville.
- Wed., March 17, 6:15 p.m. concert at First Presbyterian Church in Murfreesboro.
- Fri., March 26, 8 p.m. Homecoming Concert in the Music Hall of the Fine Arts Center.
Concerts are free and open to the public. Love offerings are collected.
Since the 1940s, choir members have spent their Spring Break on tour, performing in recent years at churches and schools throughout Florida, Georgia, Virginia, New York and Pennsylvania.
For information on the 2004 Choir Tour, contact the College's Fine Arts Center office at 865.981.8150. For information regarding the alumni events held in conjunction with the tour, contact the College's Alumni Office at 865.981.8200 or email@example.com.