With oversight provided by 1957 Class President Sam Buffat, the Class of 1957 Gift Committee, made up of Jim McCall, Alice Blackburn Ayers, Clara Gowans Hardin, Andy Loven, Dan Lawson and Katherine Leeth Bugenhagen, worked tirelessly for nearly one year to encourage their classmates to make gifts toward the renovation of a classroom in Anderson Hall as well as the establishment of a Class of 1957 endowed scholarship.
During the Alumni Banquet held on Oct. 27, Ayers presented to Maryville College President Gerald W. Gibson a check for $203,577 in current gifts and pledges. Ayers went on to say that an additional $50,000 was estimated to come from the class because five members had recently joined the Society of 1819 and had included the College in their estate plans. This brought the total impact of the class of 1957 giving to a conservative total of $253,577, the alumna reported while banquet attendees clapped and cheered.
As of Oct. 27, an impressive 79 percent of living members of the Class of 1957 had contributed to the reunion giving efforts.
“We certainly thank all members of the Class of 1957 who were a part of such a successful campaign,” said Holly Jackson-Ludlow, assistant vice president for development. “Their generosity and enthusiasm were certainly bright stars in Homecoming 2007.”
Maryville College is ideally situated in Maryville, Tenn., between the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Knoxville, the state‘s third largest city. Founded in 1819, it is the 12th oldest institution of higher learning in the South and maintains an affiliation with the Presbyterian Church (USA). Known for its academic rigor and its focus on the liberal arts, Maryville is where students come to stretch their minds, stretch themselves and learn how to make a difference in the world. Total enrollment for the fall 2013 semester was 1,168.