The Maryville College Writing Center supports students’ development of communication skills through individual tutorials in all aspects of writing and speech preparation. The mission of the Writing Center is, simply stated, to improve students’ communication abilities. The goal is simple, but the task is complex.
What to expect
- Plan to spend about 30 minutes for your session with a writing consultant.
- Consultants can provide help with all stages of the writing or speech preparation process.
- Consultants will respond as readers, not error analysts.
- They will suggest areas that need to be improved and point out patterns of errors but not every error.
- Consultants will make suggestions for improvement of your assignment, but you will have to do the work.
- If no one is waiting, you can see a consultant immediately. If a consultant is currently working with another student, please sign up for an appointment later that evening.
- Students arriving after 10:00 p.m. will be asked to schedule an appointment for the next available session.
What not to expect
- A quick fix.
- A proofreading service. Peer consultants will not correct grammar.
Tips for success with a consultant
- Bring all materials related to your project: the assignment sheet, your textbook, Harbrace, and any drafts of your essay or speech that have instructor comments.
- If you know you have difficulty with writing a thesis statement, organization, or use of language, do not state that you have trouble with “everything.” Be as concrete as you can in describing your particular area of concern.
- Most importantly, bring questions and an open mind, recognizing that developing excellent writing and public speaking skills is a process.
Hours of operation and location
The Writing Center is open from 6:30- 10:30. We are located in the Library Conference Room.
The Writing Center Director is Jan Taylor. She can be reached at 865-273-8876 or firstname.lastname@example.org