Smoky Mountain AP Summer Institute
Cancelled for 2020
The Smoky Mountain Advanced Placement Summer Institute is a subject-specific, intensive professional development opportunity for teachers. APSI provides teachers a minimum of 30 instructional hours of the support and training needed to teach AP courses and to utilize teaching strategies. Teachers come together for five days to exchange ideas and information about AP courses and exams. Smoky Mountain APSI is managed by Maryville College and has an agreement with the College Board, which ensures our program's quality by adhering to specific guidelines and policies.
Our courses are taught by experienced teachers that are endorsed by the College Board.
- Gain insight into the AP exam
- Network with other AP teachers in your discipline
- Get ideas for curriculum development
- Exchange ideas with other AP teachers
- Share teaching strategies and best practices
What you can expect at our College Board endorsed summer institute:
The Smoky Mountain Advanced Placement Institute is managed by Maryville College. We have an agreement with the College Board which ensures our program's quality.
Topics that are covered include:
- AP courses: goals, objectives, content, resources, bibliographies, and equipment
- The AP Examination: how it is developed and graded
- Syllabi, lesson plans, and assignments
- How to refresh and improve existing AP courses
- Recent changes in AP Course Descriptions
- Strategies for teaching students at beginning or intermediate levels
- Vertical teaming