Students of Color Leadership Conference
November 10-11, 2017
Let’s Take a GLIMPSE at what we hold as the future:
What does it mean to be a diverse student leader in the 21st century on a predominately white college campus and within our own communities? What are the struggles we face, the issues that confront us, and the victories that we claim?
- We introduce to you G.L.I.M.P.S.E. — Gathering, Listening, Igniting, Mending, Persevering, Surviving, Empowering
- We give the opportunity to expand our horizons as Multicultural students of the 21st century.
- We want to expand our scope of life by gathering the history of our past, making history in our present, and expanding history of our future.
- We pull away the plugs from our ears, as we fine-tune our hearing to listening to the sound of destiny that provokes us to move forward into our call.
- Fire, we light a fire igniting a positive fuse that will sound the alarm of our hearts; yet we will not burn a fire of destruction, but a fire that will burn old negative tradition and stereotypes forever.
- We will restore and rebuild everything that has been broken within us. We will be known as the generation of mending; whereas every rip of our culture will once again be sewn together again.
- We survived yesterday, we will survive today, and we will survive and thrive tomorrow—where people’s vision does not die, but lives everlastingly.
- Empowering ourselves always, through our education, our spirituality, and our commitment to reach out and help each other at all times.
This year’s GLIMPSE Conference theme is "fulfilling your full potential through self care." How can students of color deal with the current social justice movements while they also take care of themselves? GLIMPSE will challenge students to stay actively involved in fighting for justice, while also making sure that they are taking care of themselves to continue the movement of social justice.
This year’s conference will be one to remember as we celebrate the 10th anniversary. We will feature several speakers that will challenge students to be their best selves. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Tentative Conference Schedule
(We are still receiving submissions for workshops.)
| Friday 11/10/17
|Check-in, Lambert Recital Hall|
|7:30 pm||Surviving G.L.I.M.P.S.E 2017|
|Check-in at 8:30 am|
|9:15 am||Opening Remarks|
|9:25 am-12:05 pm||Concurrent Sessions (A,B)|
|1:45-3 pm||Concurrent Sessions (C,D)|
|4:45-6 pm||Networking Dinner|
|6-6:45 pm||Dinner- Keynote address|
|7:30 pm||The Finale!|
We have partnered with La Quinta Inn & Suites to bring you special pricing for the conference. To book rooms, please contact La Quinta Inn & Suites directly at 865-984-9350.
For additional options, view this list of accommodations, dining, and services in Maryville and the surrounding area.