Some Maryville College students use names that are different from their legal names to identify themselves.  As long as the use of this preferred name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, Maryville College acknowledges that a preferred name may be used whenever possible.

A student should give serious consideration to the request to use a preferred name, as this choice will be permanently reflected on applicable college records.  Although members of the community are generally free to determine the preferred names they wish to be known by, inappropriate use of the preferred name policy (including but not limited to avoiding a legal obligation, vulgarity or misrepresentation) may be cause for denying the request.  The College reserves the right to remove a preferred name if it is used inappropriately.

Upon submission of your preferred name, your choice of preferred name will be reviewed by the Office of the Registrar.  Once your preferred name is approved, it will appear in the “Nickname” section in Power Campus and Self-Service.  If your preferred name is not approved, your legal name will remain the only name on your record at the College.

Examples of preferred names that will not be approved:

  • Names used for the purpose of misrepresentation
  • Names containing non-alpha characters
  • Names containing foul or inappropriate language

Maryville College has established procedures which would allow you, if you so desire, to use a name different than your legal name on the following college records:

  • Maryville College account name
  • Student email account
  • Maryville College ID card
  • Self-Service class roster, advisee lists, and dossier
  • Tartan class roster
  • Library Information System
  • Diploma

Because of processes that exist between the email system, student information system, and the identity management system, changing the Maryville College account name and the student email account can only be done during the time before or between semesters.  Preferred name changes can be made with the Office of the Registrar only once.

For name change on the following Maryville College documents, a legal name change is required:

  • Transcripts
  • Degree verifications
  • Financial records
  • Employment and payroll records
  • Enrollment data
  • Financial aid documents and mailing information

To change the name on these records you must make a legal name change through state authorities.  Students who wish to change their legal name in their official Maryville College record must complete and sign a Name Change Form and submit with a copy of an acceptable legal document reflecting the name change together to the Office of the Registrar.

Acceptable legal documents are a valid driver’s license, marriage license, divorce degree reinstating the maiden name, adoption documents, court order, valid passport, or birth certificate.  Documents that are not considered acceptable legal documents include a social security card and a notarized statement.  For international students, the name must reflect the name that appears on the visa.

Upon receipt of the supporting documentation, the official name in the student’s academic record will be changed in the student information system.  Although the name will be changed in the academic record and on the official transcript, the former name will be maintained in the college student information system for cross-referencing.

Other Considerations

A student’s updated name will be reflected in the student’s official records and documents, including the Maryville College identification card, online directory listing, class rosters, and health center records.

Students who change their name may visit the Information Technology services office to change their MC email address.  Students who legally change their name should obtain a new MC identification card with the new name from the Residential Life Office.

Current students receiving financial aid will also need to contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine if the name change needs to be completed on the federal records in order to avoid delays in processing FAFSA and associated tax documents.