These web links are provided to help you in your search for information regarding health issues. While we try to review them regularly for accuracy and appropriateness, they are not part of the MC website and the College is not in control of or responsible for the content (suggested links should be sent to Bruce Holt). So, good luck, good health, and be careful out there.
General Sites for Counseling and Mental Health Issues
- Ulifeline.org - An interactive web site with mental health-related information as well as an interactive self-assessment device for students with concerns about their emotional/psychological well-being.
- Go Ask Alice! - Columbia University's question-and-answer web site about a wide range of health and mental health-related issues.
- Online Depression and Alcohol Screening
- http://www.campusblues.com - An informative website about current mental health issues related to college students.
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America - General information site with information about types of anxiety disorders, finding a therapist or self-help group, medications, and available clinical trials. Also includes a section with people's own stories about their experiences with having an anxiety disorder.
- National Institute of Mental Health - This site offers a Spanish as well as English text version. Informational site about anxiety disorders, treatment, and how to find help. It also has a list of available government publications related to anxiety, which can be viewed online or requested as paper copies.
- HealingWell.com Anxiety and Panic Resources
- Mental Help Net - Comprehensive online information and resources pertaining to anxiety disorders
- National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Mental Help Net - Information about obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation
- National Institute of Mental Health - Information about obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Screening - brief online OCD screening plus related information and web links.
- National Institute for Mental Health - Informational web page about university students, depression, bipolar disorder, and suicide.
- Mental Help Net - Depression - Information about depression, diagnoses, and treatment.
- Depression: What Every Woman Should Know
- SANE links to depression information
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Mental Help Net - Suicide
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Suicide.org/- An informational web site with many related web links.
- www.metanoia.org/suicide/index.html - Practical advice for dealing with suicidal thoughts
- National Institute of Mental Health - Information about manic depression.
(sites with access to Bipolar Chat experiences)
(Similar information will also be found under the list of depression web sites above.)
Trauma, Sexual Assault, and Sexual Abuse
- National Institute for Mental Health - Informational web page pertaining to post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Athealth.com - Information about post-traumatic stress disorder and related web links.
- Acquaintance and Date Rape Resources
- Sidran Institute - Web site with information and resources for individuals who have experienced sexual or physical abuse as well as dissociative identity disorder.
- Pandora's Project
- National Eating Disorders Association
- Harvard Eating Disorders Center
- Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness
- National Women's Health Information Center - Eating disorders page.
- Something Fishy - Award-winning web site on eating disorders.
- Mirror-Mirror.org - Extensive information and links to other eating disorder web sites.
- Bodycage.com - The world of eating disorders powerfully exposed. Mixture of first-person accounts, harsh realities, and coping strategies.
Drugs and Alcohol
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University
- Addictions Resources
- Smart Recovery - National self-help organization devoted to cognitive therapy-oriented recovery from substance abuse.
- Coalition against Drug Abuse
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Narcotics Anonymous
- Substance Abuse (about.com)
Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Issues
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- Youth Resource - Information and resources pertaining to gay and lesbian youth.
- National Coming Out Project - Resource guide to "coming out" for gay and lesbian individuals.