Toggle All

How does my student find out about important dates or events on campus?

Students are encouraged to check the “Calendars & Dates” page on the Maryville College website. 

Students are also encouraged to read “Today@MC for Students,” MC’s daily electronic newsletter that communicates important information and current/upcoming activities for students. The newsletter is emailed to all MC students at 7am on Mondays through Fridays.

What is the mailing address for students?

Student Name
MC # Box Number  (New students receive this via email in late summer.)
502  E. Lamar Alexander Parkway
Maryville, Tennessee  37804

Maryville College has a U.S. Post Office on campus, and all students have locking P.O. Boxes.

What are the advantages of attending a small liberal arts college like Maryville?

As a small college, MC provides personal attention for its students.  Faculty and staff know the students as individuals and can support and challenge each student based on his or her own needs and strengths.  In addition, students can easily engage in many activities, clubs, or organizations, enriching their experience in college, making them well-rounded individuals, and teaching them valuable organizational and leadership skills.

As a liberal arts college, MC provides the key elements for a successful career and a meaningful life.  Employers agree that they look for individuals that can work in teams, analyze complex problems, write and speak clearly, and develop solutions to real world problems.  These are the very skills emphasized by the liberal arts—and here at MC, epitomized by the Senior Study.

Do students need a computer on campus?

This is a difficult question, and the answer often depends on whom you ask.  There are several computer labs available in classroom buildings and the Library, and there are also a few computers available in the Bartlett Student Center. 24/7.  However, most MC students will say that they like having their own PC or laptop.   Most campus buildings provide wireless internet access.

Is there ample parking for students on campus?

In a word, yes. However, it may not always be as convenient as your student wants to park, which is usually next door to a particular building.  If your student complains, remind him or her that the MC campus is quite small, so a walk from one end to the other takes about 5 minutes.  Also, be aware that parking citations are given to students, faculty, and staff who park in areas not designated for them.  These citations carry with them a $30 fine (more if the person parks illegally in a handicap or fire zone).

Why do all students have to fill out an online vehicle information and registration form (even if they don’t have a car on campus)?

The online vehicle information and registration form must be completed by all Maryville College students, regardless of whether or not they have a vehicle on campus. This lets us know who has a car and who does not – and who needs a parking decal. A current MC parking decal must be displayed on your student’s vehicle in order to park the vehicle on campus, and the form allows the student to get a parking decal. Students may register up to four vehicles.

What are the closing procedures in the event of inclement weather?

In the event that classes are cancelled or delayed due to adverse weather conditions, students are advised to check the Maryville College website for detailed information. MC is equipped with an emergency communications system that emails, texts and calls students, faculty and staff in case of a campus emergency or closure. Additionally, area radio and TV stations will be notified by 7 a.m. on the day in question. Because we are a residential campus, essential staff will still report to work, so certain services, including dining services, will not close or cease operations. As for rehearsals, performances, practices, games, etc., students should check with faculty and staff in charge of those areas. More information can be found on the MC website.

Alcohol abuse is a big problem on college campuses. How does Maryville College address this issue?

All freshmen are required to complete an on-line course called AlcoholEdu at the beginning of their college career as part of their new student orientation program. AlcoholEdu is not a values-based course but is, instead, a factual presentation about the effects of blood alcohol content on physical, social, and mental functioning. Because students take it privately on-line, there are different versions for drinkers and non-drinkers, male and female. Through the course, students are reminded of the dangers and costs of alcohol abuse, and they are provided with skills to cope with the presence of alcohol and the choices they will have to make. In addition to AlcoholEdu, policies related to alcohol are strictly enforced on campus, and repeat offenders face suspension from the College. Substance abuse counseling is also available on campus to students.



Toggle All

What is FERPA and how can I find out my student’s grades?

The Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act is a federal law which protects the privacy of student educational records.  This gives parents certain rights regarding their child’s educational records.  It is important for parents to realize, however, that these rights transfer to the student once he turns eighteen or attends a school beyond high school.  This means that, without written permission from your student, you will probably not have access to his/her academic records – including grades.  It also means that, without that written permission, faculty members and administrators of the College will not discuss your child’s progress with you. Our advice is to cultivate an open relationship with your son or daughter so that they will share their academic progress with you. 

Students can also give you access to their “Self Service Account” - the online site where all of their records are stored. Students may choose but are not required to share portions of their information (course schedules, completed course grades, transcripts, addresses, account balances, etc.) with individuals who are designated as relatives in Self-Service. Self-Service allows you to update your permanent address and phone numbers through your account rather than relying on your student to update this information. Keeping this contact information current enables you to continue to receive this newsletter and other communications, as well as to receive important information from Maryville College regarding your student, especially in the case of an emergency.

The Parent Shared Access instruction sheet provides more details about ways we can contact you in certain events concerning your student. If you would like to have information shared with you, please have your student follow the steps provided on the Student Shared Access instruction sheet to send an invitation. If a chosen relative is not listed, students should contact the Registrar’s Office at 865.981.8212 or to request that their relative’s information be added.

For questions about Self-Service, please contact MC’s Information Technology Department at or 865.273.8827.

How large are Maryville College classes?

The faculty/student ratio is 12/1 and the average class size is 20. Some freshman classes are a bit larger while others smaller.   Composition classes typically have 20 students, while others may have as many as 30.  Students find that as they progress in their major, the classes become smaller. Maryville prides itself on strong relationships between faculty and students, and our small class sizes support this.

How can a student get help if they're struggling with academics or a certain class?

If a student is struggling in a class, he/she should schedule an office meeting with the professor. They can discuss academic challenges, note-taking and test-preparation strategies, and tutoring opportunities.

What are the advising services on campus?

Every student has an academic adviser to guide her or him along the path to graduation and beyond.  These advisors not only assist students in scheduling courses, they mentor their advisees in making career choices and provide networking opportunities for internships and beyond.

What are the academic support and disability services on campus?

The Academic Support Center brings many services into one office.  Students may find personal tutors, group help sessions, advice on time-management, tips for studying more effectively, assistance in writing, services related to disabilities—in sum, a supportive environment that either provides a service directly or connects a student to the appropriate place to meet the student’s need.

The Academic Support Center’s Disability Services offers a wide variety of services to students with disabilities that include, but are not limited to testing accommodations, providing access to adaptive computer technologies, and acting as a liaison to campus services.

 Check the Academic Support Center’s web page for more information.

How does advising and course registration work for first-year students?

All first-year students (freshmen) are contacted by email during the summer and encouraged to begin selecting courses for the fall semester. Students are notified of a list of required and recommended courses based on their major or fields of interest. During SOAR (June/July), each student meets with a faculty advisor to finalize this schedule and has an opportunity to ask questions. During Great Beginnings (August), each first-year student will meet with his/her faculty advisor to reconfirm the schedule and make any adjustments. Thus, most students meet with academic advisors twice before the semester begins to confirm that their courses fit their personal academic and career goals.

All first-year students are advised by their First Year Seminar instructors during their first semester at Maryville College. This means the students will have frequent contact with their advisors and will know exactly who to contact regarding questions about academic advising, course selection, tutoring, and other topics.

What is First Year Seminar?

First Year Seminar (FYS 110) is a required course for all first-year (freshmen) students. The course serves several important functions including: a) helping students with study skills, time management, and other academic adjustments and strategies, b) introducing activities related to the MC Works program (e.g. beginning a resume, completing a career assessment, and exploring potential career options), and c) providing an introduction to the liberal arts through the lens of a section-specific topic. Each section of FYS 110 has a different topic. Some of examples of recent topics include: Food, Getting Outdoors, Infinity, So You Think You Want to Teach?, Darwin & Philosophy, and many others.

First Year Seminar sections are small classes – usually about 17 students. The instructor of each FYS section is also those students’ academic advisor. This allows the advisor to have first-hand knowledge of how each student is adjusting and progressing throughout the first semester and each student knows exactly who to ask when they have questions about classes, tutoring, advising, etc. Overall, the goal is to help each student make a smooth transition to the rigors of college-level work and the liberal arts tradition.

My student did well in high school. Why is he/she struggling in college?

Even students who have done exceptionally well in high school find college work challenging. Students spend less time in class and more time in preparation. College professors demand much more, and course material is covered at a faster pace. One of the advantages of a small school like MC is that students can get help from their professors. There are also numerous support programs in place like Group Study, the Writing Center, and Supplemental Instruction. But the first step is for the student to speak to the professor, one-on-one. The second step is to NOT WAIT until grades drop to take advantage of Group Study sessions or the Writing Center.

What is May Term?

May Term is a three-week mini-term that occurs in May. Classes during this academic session occur after the spring semester and typically begin on the Monday following Commencement. Since the length of the term is compressed, classes are longer and more frequent (generally between 9 a.m. and noon or between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. each day) for more intense and concentrated study. Students enroll in one course during May Term and usually earn three credit hours, which are applied toward the total credit hours needed to fulfill general education requirements. Off-campus trips scheduled as part of course syllabi can last an afternoon or two weeks and can take students places as near as the Great Smoky Mountains National Park or as far away as South Africa. 



Toggle All

How many students live on campus?

Approximately three-fourths of our students live on campus, and one-fourth commute from their parents’ homes.

When are the residence hall opening, check-in and closing dates?

Check Residence Life’s “Important Dates” page for information about residence hall opening and closing dates, check-in dates and residence hall breaks.

Where can I find housing forms?

All students are required to complete either a Commuter Form or an on-campus Housing Information Form - please take just a few minutes to fill out the appropriate form. Forms can be found on the Maryville College website.

When and how will housing and roommate assignments be sent to students?

Housing and roommate information will be sent to students’ Maryville College email by early July. The information will include: residence hall name, room number, and contact information for your student’s new roommate. We encourage students to contact their roommates over the phone or meet in person. We discourage them to use Facebook, Twitter, or other online communities to contact their new roommate.

What are the room dimensions?

In Copeland, Davis, and Gamble Halls, room size is 15’2”L x 10’2”W  (not including closet space); window size is 42”W x 64”L; bed size is twin, extra-long; mattress size: 36”W x 80”L (twin, extra-long). All other residence halls vary in size and shape. See more information about residence halls.

What should students bring for the residence hall room?

Each residence hall room is furnished with a bed, mattress, desk, bookshelf, desk chair, mini-blinds, closet and dresser drawers for each student. A dry-erase message board is also placed outside of each room.

Current MC students recommend bringing the following items: area carpets or rugs; house slippers and shower shoes; small fan; mattress pad/egg crate/memory foam mattress cover (twin, extra-long size); lamp or other extra lighting; power strips/ extension cords (3-pronged); bath robe, towels, hand towels, wash cloths; shower caddy, fully stocked; coaxial cable for TV/ethernet cables; alarm clock; coffee maker; can opener; bowls, plates, silverware, dishwashing soap, sponges; 3M removable hooks, tabs, adhesives; dry erase markers and cleaner; 3-hole punch, stapler, tape dispenser, etc.; laundry basket, liquid laundry detergent, fabric softener; planner/address book; basic cleaning supplies: disinfectant wipes, glass cleaner, broom, dustpan; iron and ironing board.

Which appliances can my student bring – and what should be left at home?

The following appliances are permitted in residence halls: alarm clock, coffee pot, laptop or PC computer, desk lamp, personal fan, iron, microwave (under 1,000 watts), stereo, refrigerator (under 4 cubic feet), television, DVD player, gaming systems, 3-pronged surge strip/extension cord.

The following items are NOT permitted in residence halls: air conditioners, candles, incense, dart board, electric blankets, electric frying pans, electric grills, electric heaters, firearms/weapons/ammunition, halogen lamps, hot plates, pets (except fish), power tools, sun lamp, water bed.

What staff members are available in MC residence halls to assist my student?

Professionally trained residence hall staff members reside in our halls, and they supervise student Resident Assistants (RAs) who are exemplary upperclassmen selected and hired to live with and assist our residents.

Is the meal plan required if a student lives on campus?

Yes, all residential students must purchase a block meal plan which provides a “block” of meals per semester. Our food service provider is Metz Culinary Management, All freshmen are required to purchase a Gold Plan which is 230 meals. 

What types of meal plans are available?

There are a variety of meal plan options available to our students. All students living on campus must have a meal plan. Meals can be purchased in the amounts of 150, 190, or 230 meals per semester (prices and more information can be found here). All freshmen students living on campus must have a Gold plan. Sophomores may have a Gold or Silver plan. Juniors and Seniors and all students living in a room/suite/apartment with a kitchen may choose between the Gold, Silver, or Bronze plan.

Each meal plan listed above includes $50 in flex dollars. Students may also opt to add a certain amount of flex dollars onto their meal plan. They may select flex dollars plans during room selection or can contact the Residence Life office at the beginning of each semester to change their flex dollar plan. Flex dollars can also be added to a student's account at any point in the year by contacting the Business Office at 865-981-8249. Flex dollars carry over from the fall to spring semester, but balances are set to $0 at the end of the spring semester.

How much does it cost for residential students to do laundry on campus?

Laundry facilities are available at no additional charge in all residence halls.  Students must provide their own detergent.

What if my son or daughter experiences roommate problems?

The first step when there is “roommate trouble” is a conversation between the roommates. If students are uncomfortable having those difficult conversations, they should contact their Resident Assistant (RA), who will assist both roommates in resolving problems.

Are there storage facilities on campus so my student can store items over the summer break?

There is very limited storage available in residence halls over the summer.  (We do not allow furniture, refrigerators, carpet or other large items to be stored.) Students should check with their Resident Directors about availability.  The College is not responsible for any loss or damage to stored items. Students can also take advantage of a number of affordable commercial storage facilities located in and around Maryville.

Are the residence hall rooms good for studying? Where are good study locations on campus?

Almost every residence hall has a study space. However, some students find them distracting. There are many quiet locations on campus that students learn about once they arrive. One of the most popular locations is the College Library located in Thaw Hall.   The Living Room in Bartlett Hall is open 24/7 and has comfortable furniture, computers, and a printer.

Are residential students allowed to live on campus during holidays?

Students can remain on campus during Fall Break, Thanksgiving Holiday, Spring Break, and Easter Break with permission and for a $15 per night fee.  However, the residence halls shut down during the Christmas Break, and all residents must make arrangements to stay elsewhere.



Toggle All

Do students need to get a physical at home if they are playing a sport?

The team physician provides free physicals to all athletes before the season’s practice begins. Consult the coach or team trainer for more details.

What services are available for students who get sick?

Maryville College contracts with Blount Memorial Hospital to provide nursing care at no additional charge to students. The Student Health Clinic is open 20 hours per week. The nurse can screen to help students decide if they need to seek the care of a physician. There are several walk-in clinics providing 24/7 care near the campus.

Are facilities available so my student can be physically active?

In addition to trails in the College Woods for biking or running, the Alumni Gym has a Fitness Room with a variety of equipment, and a recreation area for all students. Also, free fitness classes are offered to students and staff throughout the year. Last but not least, Mountain Challenge at MC offers a full schedule of outdoor activities for all fitness levels including climbing, canoeing, caving, rafting and so on.  Check the website for details.



Toggle All

When are payments due, and what are my payment options?

The Business Office notifies students when statements are ready to view and pay via their Self-Service account, typically around July 6 for the fall semester and November 3 for the spring semester. The statement includes all charges and all anticipated financial aid based on the information the student has provided regarding enrollment status, room and board plans, and financial aid awards up to that date. If there is an error on your statement, contact the Business Office at 865-981-8249 or Financial Aid at 865-981-8100 immediately.

Effective with the Fall of 2015, statements are no longer mailed.  Each student has a Self-Service account that accesses the most recent statement, reflecting payments, changes to room and board, and changes to actual and/or anticipated financial aid.  Electronic billing is the College’s official billing method, and students/parents are responsible for viewing and paying student accounts by the scheduled due date.

Payment is due in early August for the fall semester and in early December for the spring semester. An $100 late fee will be added to all accounts not paid by the due date. We accept electronic payments by using students' Self-Service account. Students will be unable to move into a campus residence facility, use the meal plan, or register for classes if the bill is not paid in full. Failure to complete financial aid paperwork or failure to make necessary room and board changes is not an acceptable reason for waiving this requirement. If a student adds classes after the payment due date that have an additional fee, the additional fee will be due at registration.

Payment arrangements include the following:

  • Monthly Payment Plan through our third party vendor.
  • Financial Aid deferments (loans, scholarships, etc)
  • Notification to the Business Office by AUGUST 5th of the following other payments: RA, Bonner, GI Bill, letter from outside source (church, civic organization, etc.)

Find more information on the Student Statements FAQ page.

What is the 1098-T Form?

The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student’s name, address, and taxpayer identification number, enrollment and academic status. Beginning with 2003, educational institutions must also report amounts to the IRS pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, as well as scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. A 1098-T form must also be provided to each applicable student. This form is informational only. It serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax credits. It should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T does not contain all of the information needed to claim a tax credit. There is no IRS requirement that you must claim the tuition and fees deduction or an education credit. Claiming education tax benefits is a voluntary decision for those who may qualify.

Your student’s Form 1098-T will be mailed to your home address in late January. The Business Office provides a "Frequently Asked Questions" section on the website to assist you with this form. We will be the first to admit that the Form 1098-T is confusing because of the timing of the tuition/fee charges and the corresponding financial aid. However, the vast majority of higher education institutions use this same billing process (i.e., billings for fall semester in July, Financial Aid credited in September, billings for spring semester in December, Financial Aid credited in February), so we are not alone. A color-coded chart found on our Q&A page helps illustrate the process (#04: “Why is Box 7 checked?”).

You can access the 1098-T via the following website (click “Access My Record,” and then follow the prompts). NOTE: Please be advised that Maryville College can not provide legal, tax or accounting advice to students or parents. We urge you to check with your tax advisor about this and other tax-related matters.  



Toggle All

How can I reach my student in case of emergency?

It is important for MC parents to have the Maryville College Security phone number on hand.  It is 865-981-8112, and Security is available 24/7.  If you are unable to reach your student, or if you need emergency assistance, don’t hesitate to call College Security.

What are Flex Dollars?

Flex Dollars can be purchased through the College’s Business Office and put on the student’s ID card.  This declining balance provides deeply discounted prices at the Scots C-Store, Isaac’s Café, and Pearsons Dining Hall.

Where do visitors park on campus?

Parking lots are clearly labeled throughout campus, and several administrative parking lots are designated for visitor parking. You can also contact College Security, 865-981-8112, and pick up a visitor tag for your car.

How can parents and extended family find out about donating to Maryville College?

Maryville College depends on the generosity of its alumni and friends, including parents/families of current students, and there are giving opportunities at all levels that range from current gifts to estate gifts. If you would like to donate, contact College Advancement at 865-981-8204 or go on the web site.

How many hours of off campus work (job) do you recommend?

The answer to this question depends on many factors:  how strong academically is the student?  What is his/her course load?  Are the work hours off campus flexible? (Many classes have required activities and events outside of class.) Is there enough time set aside for studying?

It is a good idea for your student to plot the week’s activities on a schedule that includes time in class, studying (at least two hours for every one hour in class), sleeping, eating, down time, athletics (if applicable), etc.  Are there enough hours left to work off campus?

What career services are available to MC Students?

ALL students participate in Maryville College Works, our premier program which “links the liberal arts to Career”. The four year program guides students through vocational exploration, job skill building, and job placement, and it includes a required internship or other significant practical experience in the workplace. For more information, visit the Maryville College Works page

What is the average need for spending money for students per month?

The answer to this question depends on the spending habits your student brings to college. Actually, many needs are provided for on campus at no additional charge: food, laundry facilities, clinic services, cable movies, to name a few. Many students want to go off campus for meals, snacks, movies, entertainment, but they do not have to do so. We recommend that you and your student discuss and work out a budget on paper early on and amend it as needed during the first year. And avoid unnecessary expenses like too many drives to Knoxville or too many trips to Taco Bell at midnight!


Don’t see your question addressed here? Have additional questions? Please submit your question using our online form or call the Office of Student Affairs.