Students are represented in campus governance by the Student Government Association. SGA is composed of representatives elected by the student body and establishes committees to supervise specific areas of student life and to study student concerns. The voting body consists of Senators elected by the student body to represent classes, residence halls, and commuting students. Ex-officio members include class officers, advisors, and the Government Cabinet composed of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Parliamentarian, and Public Relations Officers, and others. SGA is advised by selected members of the faculty and staff. Duties and responsibilities for SGA are outlined in the Government Constitution. Specific issues and concerns relating to student life are guided by the Student Government Association. Students interested in running for office or serving on College committees should contact their Government representative or the Student Development Office at 865.981.8215.
STUDENT GOVERNMENT COMMITTEES
Students may also serve on any Student Government Committee. The chair of each committee must be a member of SGA and will be responsible for reporting the activities of that committee to the SGA. Any student interested in serving on a SGA committee, should contact the SGA President.
The standing committees include:
- Internal Affairs Committee: primarily handles internal SGA affairs including, but not limited to, the Constitution, the Covenant, Elections, and Public Relations from SGA to the campus community. The chair or co-chair acts as Elections Deputy.
- Campus Life and Affairs Committee: primarily handles interactions between the campus and the SGA including, but not limited to, Food Services, Residence Life, Spirit and Traditions, and Traffic and Safety issues.
- Non-Traditional Student Affairs Committee: primarily handles the issues and concerns of non-traditional students including, but not limited to, commuters, students over the age of 23, students with children, international students, and CELL students.
- Compassion Committee: primarily shows concern for fellow students on behalf of the SGA in times of need including, but not limited to, illness, death of family or friend, times of need on campus, etc.
- Financial, Budgetary, and Organizational Affairs Committee: the primary connection between student organizations and the SGA. This committee oversees the Council of Presidents as well as the budget process and ensures that organizations are upholding their governing documents and are in accordance with all school guidelines.
For information regarding campus clubs, organizations, or activities, contact the Director of Student Involvement at 865.981.8013, Bartlett Hall, Rm 223.
Student Government 2012-2013
- President: Keli Shipley
- Vice President: Christian Borek
- Treasurer: Forrest Clarke
- Secretary: Elizabeth Hiatt
- Parliamentarian: Callie Keasler
- Clerk: Spencer Blanden
- Minority Representative: Tess Perilli
- Chief Justice: Blake Douglas
Senior - 2013
- President: Devan Reynolds
- Vice President: Sam Boring
- Sec/Tres: Eric Hill
- Senators: Doug Carson, Cory Lingerfelt
Junior - 2014
- President: Stephen Revilla
- Vice President: Josh Hunley
- Sec/Tres: Hollie Malin
- Senators: Rachel Huddleston, Marie Pardi
Sophomore - 2015
- President: Jacob Timmie
- Vice President: Paul Earheart-Brown
- Sec/Tres: Tyler Jones
- Senators: Linley Dunn, Dave Sturchio
Freshman - 2016
- President: Taylor Jackson
- Vice President: Cole Burns
- Sec/Tres: Brittany Miller
- Senators: Ashley Brown, Blaine Coyle
- Dustin Hinkle, Adam Moore
- Carmina deGuia, Amber Nichols
- Beeson: Chelsea MIchaels
- Carnegie: John Cole Kirksey
- Court Street:
- Gamble: Alex Groves
- Lloyd: Zachary Parker
Advisor: Ben Wicker