Federal Work Study (FWS) is need-based financial aid that is offered to students as a part of the total financial aid package to assist with meeting the cost of education. This program allows eligible students to be paid for part-time employment while attending school and it provides worthwhile job opportunities to students. Accepting your Federal Work Study Award in your Financial Aid package does not guarantee that you will obtain employment and does not guarantee that you will be able to earn your full award amount through employment. The first step in applying for student employment is to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or the FAFSA to determine if you qualify for the Federal Work Study program.

Important Things to Know and Remember about Federal Work Study:

  • The FAFSA must be filed each year to re-determine work-study eligibility.
  • Federal Work Study (FWS) is awarded in varying amounts up to a maximum of $2,000 per academic year. The actual amount a student may earn is determined by the student’s financial need and year in school and the MC department’s budget. 
  • Students may work up to 20 hours per week and may hold up to two jobs on campus during an academic year. Students may not earn more than the amount awarded for Federal Work Study in the student’s financial aid package.
  • Federal Work Study Kick-off is held at the beginning of every Fall semester.
  • During the year, current job openings are posted online through Handshake.. Students must visit this website to view open positions.
  • To apply for a position, the student must apply 
  • It is the responsibility of each student to apply, interview and be selected for student employment positions. FWS jobs are not assigned and your eligibility for FWS does not guarantee that you will be employed or that you will be able to earn your full FWS award through employment.
  • The hiring supervisor will contact the student to schedule an interview for the position.
  • After being selected for a position, students must complete all new hire paperwork including a Direct Deposit Authorization Agreement. These forms are available in the Human Resources department. To complete the Federal I-9 Form, you must provide two forms of identification. All accepted documents are listed on the Acceptable Identification Documents for the I-9 Form. The documents must be originals and not copies. The name on your IRS W-4 Form must match the name on your Social Security card.
  • Once all paperwork is completed you are considered hired and should review the student employment handbook.  

Federal Work Study positions are available off-campus through the Maryville College Community Shares program. Participating employers typically include: Blount County Schools’ Reading and Math for Success programs, Blount County Public Library, Leadership Blount and other local government and non-profit agencies.

Maryville College Student Employment

On-campus student employment for Non-Federal Work Study students (also referred to as Maryville College Student Employment) is available on a limited basis as funding allows. These positions require specific skills/certifications and supervisor recommendation.

Students may not begin any job on campus until they have completed all required paperwork to include a Maryville College Work Authorization and Federal I-9, W-4 forms and direct deposit form. Visit Handshake in order to view current job openings.