Acceptable Identification Documents for the Form I-9

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services requires employers to verify the employment eligibility of all new employees. New hires, including student work-study employees, must complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, or Form I-9, and present to the employer original supporting documents to establish identity as well as employment eligibility. Students complete this form as part of their new employee onboarding checklist in Paycom. Copies of certifying documents cannot be accepted. Below are the acceptable forms of ID required for completing the Form I-9. You must provide either one item from List A OR a combination of one item from List B and one item from List C. All documents must be unexpired. Your Form I-9 must be completed before you can begin working, pursuant to Federal Law.

List A   List B (select 1)   List C (select 1)
Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Eligibility
Documents that Establish Identity
Documents that Establish Employment Eligibility
US Passport or US Passport Card   Drivers License or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address.   A Social Security Account Number card, unless the card includes one of the following restrictions:
Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)   ID Card issued by a federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address.   Original or Certified Birth Certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or territory of the United States bearing an official seal.
Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa   School ID card with photograph   Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
Employment Authorization Document that contains a photo (Form I-766)   Voter’s Registration Card   Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)

For a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status:

  1. A foreign passport and
  2. Form I-94 or Form I-94A that has the following:
  • The same name as the passport and
  • An endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
  U.S. Military card or draft record

Military dependent’s ID card

US Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card

Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority
  Native American Tribal document

U.S. Citizen ID card (form I-197)

ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.   Native American Tribal document   Employment authorized by the Department of Homeland Security