The goal of the Scots Science Scholars program is to increase the number of students completing a major in STEM at Maryville College. Selected students attend a two-week summer experience in August prior to the beginning of the academic year. Students live on campus and should have no other responsibilities during that time. Participants are also strongly encouraged to live on campus throughout the academic year. Scots Science Scholars are expected to participate in our academic support programming 6 hours per week during the academic year and to attend STEM enrichments events (expert lectures or field trips) each semester.
S3 invites applicants who are seriously considering one or more of the following majors:
- Biochemistry (including pre-professional)
- Biology (including pre-professional and teacher licensure)
- Bio-pharmaceutical science
- Business Analytics
- Chemistry (including teacher licensure)
- Computer Science
- Engineering (Dual degree program)
- Mathematics (including teacher licensure)
The application process requires:
- Completed application to Maryville College
- Separate completed application to the Scots Science Scholars Program made available to admitted students via their MaryVille Portal - MVP.
- Two academic references
- Scholars day interview either in person or remotely (February 2020)
Participants will be selected to ensure diversity of STEM interests and backgrounds. Special consideration will be given to applicants from underrepresented groups including first-generation college students and those with high financial need.
For additional details about the program as well as contact information for the directors, please visit the Scots Science Scholars program page in our Experiential Learning section.