Financial Aid, GI Bill®, and Scholarships header

Financial Aid for Veterans

Veterans and their dependents may be eligible for Maryville College, state, and federal financial aid in addition to educational benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs. To determine your eligibility for these non-VA types of financial aid, follow these 4 steps to apply:
• Apply for Admission to Maryville College as a first-year student or transfer student
• Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal and/or state financial aid and need-based Maryville College financial aid.
• Have your transcripts and test scores sent to the Maryville College Office of Admissions
• Apply for Maryville College scholarships:
    o For First-Year Students
    o For Transfer Students
    o If you qualify for the VA Yellow Ribbon Program, your MC scholarship will be the Yellow Ribbon scholarship, which covers 100% of your tuition and fees.

Completing the FAFSA will determine your eligibility for federal financial aid grants and Federal Direct Stafford and Perkins Loans. Information on federal grant programs can be found on our Federal Grant Programs page. Visit our Federal Education Loan Programs page to learn more about federal loans and how to apply for them.
Other sources of financial aid include:
Outside Scholarships
Alternative Private Loans
Tuition Monthly Payment Plan


Welcome to MC Veterans Affairs! Veteran educational benefits and certification is an arm of the Registrar’s Office. This office is available to assist you in receiving educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. We are also available to assist you in other areas to help assure your academic success. Our main goal is to provide educational benefit programs and other supportive services to veterans, national guardsmen, reservists, and eligible dependents enrolled at MC.

In order to receive educational benefits under the new Post 9/11 or other Montgomery GI Bill programs, student must first complete an application for benefits with the VA. Once this application is processed, the Veterans Administration Office will send by mail a Certificate of Eligibility to those students who do qualify. This certificate tells the veteran the benefit program length of entitlement they will receive. Students must bring a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility to the school in order to begin receiving benefits.

• Go to:
• Click: Apply for Benefits
• Click: Launch VONAPP and apply for benefits
• If you have used your GI Bill Benefits at a previous school, you must complete a Request for Change of Program or 
    Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995.

Forms can be found on the VA website at:

If you don’t have the capability to apply online, you can call 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a form mailed to you.

The following items should be submitted to the School Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office.
o Copy of Certificate of Eligibility from VA once received
o DD-214 (Member-4 Copy)  Report of Separation (if student is the veteran)
   Request a copy of DD-214 at: Request for Benefits Form
o Official Transcripts from ALL prior colleges, including Military Transcripts, if any


Special Note:  Before utilizing any military-related or VA benefit, we recommend that service members first contact their Education Support Officer (ESO) or counselor to ensure maximum use of education benefits.

Student must be registered for classes before certifications can be processed. If you have any questions regarding this information please contact:

Kathi A. Wilson, Registrar & VA School Certifying Official
Fayerweather Hall #148

Scholarships & Grants

Maryville College Scholarships - Maryville College provides generous scholarship and award opportunities to deserving students. Scholarships are awarded based on academic information, student interest, student leadership and/or talent.

Military Scholarship Finder - Search for over 1,000 scholarships and grants exclusively for the military community.

Scholarships for Every Branch of the Military - Scholarships and grants for veterans supported by the Federal government, as well as by military associations, universities and private donors.

Student Veterans of America - Together with corporate partners, SVA offers a number of scholarships throughout the academic year.

Veteran Scholarships and Grants - Veterans scholarships and grants offer essential educational assistance to military veterans. All levels of service are acknowledged with a variety of veterans scholarships and grants to help cover tuition, books, lodging and expenses for those who served their country.

Tennessee is a Yellow Ribbon State and Maryville College is a Yellow Ribbon School. 

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program? 

Degree-granting institutions of higher learning participating in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program agree to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement. These institutions voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with VA and choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA matches that amount and issues payments directly to the institution.

How do you qualify? 

Only Veterans entitled to the maximum 100% benefit rate, as determined by service requirements, or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty Service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program. Child transferees of active duty Service members may be eligible if the Service member is qualified at the 100% benefit rate.

To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:  

  • • You must be eligible for the maximum 100%  benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
  • • You must not be on active duty or a spouse using transferred entitlement.
  • • Your school must agree to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
  • • Your school must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals,
  •    as stated in their participation agreement.
  • • Your school must certify your enrollment to VA and provide Yellow Ribbon Program information.

You may be eligible if you fit the following circumstances:

  • • You served an aggregate period of 36 months in active duty after September 10, 2001.
  • • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30
  •    continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001.
  • • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on the
  •    service eligibility criteria listed above.

 Contact the Assistant Director of Transfer & Veteran Recruiting, Jim Humphrey, to learn how this can apply to you! 

Phone: (865) 981-8015    Email:



Additional Financial Aid Information For Guard/Reserves


 MC has long been a supporting partner of our TN National Guard and Reserves.  In keeping with that tradition, MC participates in accepting additional forms of aid such as TN Strong Act and Military Federal Tuition Assistance. 

The following benefits can be utilized to attend MC, individually or in tandem with other benefits.  Each individual service member situation will be different.  For this reason, we highly encourage that any service member planning to use education benefits, first contact their Education Support Officer (ESO) or the TN National Guard Education Team at 615.313.0529 or 0604 to determine the best option for their educational goal.  email: 


Benefits Available:

Chapter 33/Post-911   |  Chapter 30/MGIB-AD   |  Chapter 1606/MGIB-SR   |  Chapter 1607 (REAP)                            Federal Tuition Assistance   |  TN Strong Act

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at