NOTE: Please be advised that Maryville College can not provide legal, tax, or accounting advice to students or parents. We urge you to check with your tax advisor about this and other tax-related documents. 

Toggle All

01. What is the 1098-T Form?

The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student’s name, address, and taxpayer identification number, enrollment and academic status. Beginning with 2003, educational institutions must also report amounts to the IRS pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, as well as scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. A 1098-T form must also be provided to each applicable student. This form is informational only. It serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax credits. It should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T does not contain all of the information needed to claim a tax credit. There is no IRS requirement that you must claim the tuition and fees deduction or an education credit. Claiming education tax benefits is a voluntary decision for those who may qualify.

02. Why did I receive a 1098-T and what should I do with it?

In January of each year, Maryville College teams with Educational Computer Systems, Inc (ECSI) to consolidate and distribute 1098-T forms either by mail or electronically. Additionally, 1098-Ts are always available on the ECSI website by going to, sign in or register then follow the prompts. All students who had qualified tuition and other related educational expenses billed to them during the previous calendar year will receive a 1098-T form. The form is informational only and should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. It serves to alert students that they may be eligible for federal income tax credits. Receipt of Form 1098-T does not indicate eligibility for the tax credit. To determine the amount of qualified tuition and fees paid, and the amount of scholarships and grants received, a taxpayer should use their own financial records.

03. Is a copy of this form sent to the IRS?

Yes. Section 6050S of the Internal Revenue Code, as enacted by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, requires institutions to file information returns to assist taxpayers and the Internal Revenue Service in determining eligibility for the Hope and Lifetime Learning education tax credits. An electronic copy of the data is submitted to the IRS each year by March 31 for the previous tax year.

04. Why is Box 7 checked?

The 1098-T form data is pulled from calendar year tuition, fees, and financial aid. Thus, it does not conform to the true academic year information. Spring tuition is billed in December of the previous calendar year, but the financial aid pertaining to the Spring tuition is posted in January. Example: a student’s 2015 1098-T form will include scholarships and grants for the Spring 2015 semester, all Summer and Fall 2015 activity, and Tuition and Fees for the Spring 2016 semester. This timing anomaly is why we urge you to use your personal financial records for tax purposes. The following chart explains the relationship between the student statements and the 1098-T forms:

1098-T Forms Box 2 - Amounts Billed Box 5 - Scholarships / Grants
2011 29,924.00 8,500.00
2012 30,522.00 17,250.00
2013 31,132.00 17,750.00
2014 31,754.00 18,250.00
2015 - 9,250.00
  123,332.00 71,000.00
Statements Tuition and Fees Scholarships / Grants
Fall 2011 14,962.00 8,500.00
Spring 2012 14,962.00 8,500.00
Fall 2012 15,261.00 8,750.00
Spring 2013 15,261.00 8,750.00
Fall 2013 15,566.00 9,000.00
Spring 2014 15,566.00 9,000.00
Fall 2014 15,877.00 9,250.00
Spring 2015 15,877.00 9,250.00
  123,332.00 71,000.00

06. Why isn’t there an amount in Box 1?

The IRS instructs institutions to report either payments received (Box 1) or amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 2) on the 1098-T. Maryville College reports qualified tuition and related expenses and scholarships and grants that were billed during the tax year (Box 2); therefore, Box 1 will always be blank.

07. What other information do I need to claim the tax credit?

While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, does not contain all of the information needed to claim a tax credit. Most of the information needed must come from the student’s personal financial records of what the student paid during the calendar year. Additionally, each taxpayer and his or her tax advisor must make the final determination of qualifying expenses.

08. What are the Hope Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit and what are allowable tuition and fee tax deductions for each?

For an overview of the Hope Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, and allowable tuition and fee tax deductions visit the IRS website Not all students who pay qualified expenses are eligible for a tax credit. Publication 970 explains tax benefits for education:

09. What is the American Opportunity Credit?

This is a new education tax credit available for 2009 and 2010. The maximum credit per student is $2,500 and it is available for the first 4 years of postsecondary education. Forty percent of the credit is refundable for most taxpayers. Students cannot claim this credit if their MAGI is $90,000 or more ($180,000 or more if filing a joint return). For more information please visit

11. If I pay college tuition and fees with a scholarship, can I claim an education credit on Form 8863 for these payments?

No. You cannot claim a credit for the amount of higher education expenses paid for by tax-free scholarships. For more information, please visit the IRS website.

12. Where can I find out more about educational tax credits and deductions?

Additional information can be found at and

13. My address listed on the 1098-T has changed. Will this be a problem?

No. The address shown on Form 1098-T is irrelevant for IRS income tax filing purposes. The single most important information on the form is your Social Security Number. Please call the Registrar’s Office at (865) 981-8028 if the SSN on your 1098-T is incorrect.

14. How do I get a reprint of my 1098-T form?

Please go to, sign in or register, and then follow the prompts.