What programs are available?

Programs are designed for Maryville College students to have an opportunity to study abroad at minimum cost, and for a variety of durations.

Students may choose to study abroad for a semester on a Maryville College Bilateral or ISEP Exchange or an ISEP-Direct program. Students can also choose to study abroad during the summer for 4-8 weeks, or during May Term for 2-3 weeks.

Through Maryville College study abroad programs you have access to over 160 study sites in Africa, Asia, Canada, Europe, Latin America, and the South Pacific.

In addition to studying abroad, students may choose to pursue a volunteer, internship or work abroad opportunity.

Visit the Study Abroad Programs [link under Programs] website for more information on each of these types of programs.

What are the general criteria for participating in these programs?

  • Sophomore, junior, or senior standing at the time of participation
  • Demonstrated successful academic performance
    • MC Bilateral Exchanges: usually an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher
    • ISEP Exchanges: usually an overall GPA of 2.75 or higher (higher GPA requirement is due to the fact that ISEP exchanges are very competitive)
    • Successful completion of application and interview process.

In addition, potential for adjustment to a foreign setting, preparedness for the experience, and evidence that the student will be a good representative of the College and country are examined by the International Programming Committee (IPC).


Is language proficiency required to participate in the programs?

Maryville College offers options to study abroad in both environments where a second-language is required and also environments where students can study in English.

For programs offered in a second-language, there are generally options for beginners and also options for students who have taken 4-6 college semesters of a language.

Programs offered in English may be located in countries where English is the Native Language, and also in countries where another language is spoken, but university coursework is completed in English.

Language proficiency is generally not required for January-term programs.

When and how do I apply for the programs?

An application can be obtained from the Center for International Education (International House) or online. The application deadlines are as follows:

  • November 15 for the following fall or full year placement
  • March 1  for May-term programs for the following year
  • April 15 for the following spring placement *

       *Some spring programs require a fall application date, so talk to the Center for International Education to be sure of your application date!


How much do the programs cost?

You will pay your regular tuition and fees to Maryville College, so these costs are not different from a semester at MC. Financial aid and grants are available. Room and board fees vary according to arrangements with the particular institution. Also, students are responsible for health insurance through a personal policy, travel, books, and fees for a passport and, if necessary, a visa.

For ISEP Exchanges only, you pay tuition, room, and board to Maryville, plus an ISEP application fee of $100 and an ISEP exchange fee of $325.

Am I eligible for financial aid to participate in these programs?

Yes, as long as you are participating in MC Study Abroad Programs (Bilateral or ISEP Exchange). Though you are abroad, you are still considered an MC student. You are thus eligible for financial aid if you qualify. With very early and careful planning, additional expenses for study abroad may be figured into the overall “cost of education” for financial aid purposes. In some cases, this may result in increased financial aid.

Are there special grants for MC students studying abroad?

Yes. There are a limited number of Ragsdale (up to $2000 per student) and Tuck (up to $3000 per student) awards available. Awards are competitive and based on financial need. You are encouraged to apply. Deadlines are October 1  for Spring study abroad and March 1 for Fall study abroad. Ragsdale applications are available online or from the Center for International Education (International House).

Will grades I earn at foreign institutions affect my grade point average (GPA) at MC?

Grades earned at any institution with which MC has a formal agreement will be factored into your GPA here at MC. Study abroad in other programs is treated as transfer credit.

How many credit hours am I expected to earn while abroad?

Normally around fifteen US credit hours per semester.

Where do I stay while studying at the host institution?

Either in a university dormitory, shared student apartment or with a family arranged by the host institution.

Will a study abroad program delay graduation?

Not usually. Careful prior planning with your academic advisor and the Center for International Education should be done to determine whether a delay in graduation will occur.

I am aware of study abroad programs sponsored by other colleges and universities. Can I participate in other programs of my choice instead of the MC Study Abroad Programs as described?

Yes.  If you participate in some other program, you will not be considered an MC student while abroad. Thus, you will not be eligible for financial aid as an MC student, nor will the credits you earn automatically transfer to MC.

I would like to have an experience abroad but do not wish to enroll in a course of study. Is there an alternative experience available?

A Work Abroad program is a relatively inexpensive alternative. For more information, contact the Center for International Education (International House).

What travel documents do I need?

Passport. This is required for travel to and from a foreign country. Applications can be obtained at designated U.S. post offices. Allow a minimum of 6 weeks (longer during April - September) for processing. For more info, visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html

Visa. Some countries require a visa for study abroad. Contact the Center for International Education for details.

Certificate of Vaccination. Some countries require proof of vaccination for entry into the country. Contact the Center for International Education for details. For more info on vaccinations required for your location of choice, visit https://www.cdc.gov/

International Student I.D. This is a useful, optional document that entitles the student to numerous discounts and travel benefits. It can be purchased at the MC International House.


Where can I get more information about programs?

Once you have done your research on our website, the Center for International Education will assist you further. Contact studyabroad@maryvillecollege.edu to set up an advising appointment.