Study Abroad Opportunities
MC students can search by:
You may choose to study abroad in English or in the native language of your host countries. Semester or year-long programs are opportunities to be fully immersed in a university in another country.
Are you eligible? Programs generally require a GPA of 2.75. (some higher)
Are you on a budget?? - semester exchanges are often your best deal!
Travel Study Programs (Faculty-Led Programs - May or Spring Break)
These 10-21 day programs are led by Maryville College faculty and fulfill many Maryville College requirements. Programs are offered in different countries each year. No GPA requirement.
2019 MAY-TERM (Tentative - in approval process)
- MC Scots Abroad - BONAIRE
- MC Scots Abroad - Greece
- MC Scots Abroad - Peru
JANUARY 2018: MC IN CUBA (EXP 200 / HIS)
- MARCH 2018: MC IN SWITZERLAND (PSY 249 - this is an embedded program)
- MAY 2018: MC in COSTA RICA (BIO 149/OST 149)
- May 2017: Denmark / Sweden (FULL - program registration closed)
- March 2017: Choir in Scotland (look for this program again in 2020)
- January 2017: New Zealand, India, Celtic Connections
- March 2016: Bonaire
- January 2016: France& Ecuador
- March 2016: Switzerland
- Past program blog: MCtoSwitzerland.blogspot.com
- January 2015: Costa Rica & India
- Study Abroad: Learn a language. Study a specific topic. Summer programs are designed to give you four to eight weeks in another country.
- ISEP Summer Programs
- CEA Study Abroad Summer Programs
- ISA Summer Programs
- CISAbroad Summer Programs
- Intern Abroad: Opportunities for EVERY major! Click on the Summer Programs link!
On a budget, but want an internship abroad? - look at ISA's Service Learning Programs.
Are you eligible? GPA requirements vary by program. Average minimum is 2.5.
- May-term 2019: Watch for a Bonner Service Program and check out our Travel Study Program to Peru (above)
- Summer (May) 2017: Dominican Republic Summer Program (with Bonner Scholars)
- Summer 2015: Two weeks in Costa Rica with Bonner Scholars
Mountain Challenge Road Trips
These programs are sometimes international and sometimes US-based.
No current programs
Maryville College Athletics works hard to develop programs abroad for athletes to travel as part of their NCAA athletic program. Current plans in development include:
- Spring Break 2017: Maryville College Soccer - Western Europe
- Winter 2017: Maryville College Baseball - Dominican Republic
- 2019: MC Scots Softball Team - Costa Rica (tentative)
Study Abroad Application
- November 15: Fall or Academic Year programs
(apply 1 year in advance)
- January 15: Summer Education Abroad Programs (study/intern/service-learning)
- March 1: January-Term Travel Study Program Applications (apply 1 year in advance)
- April 15: Spring study abroad programs (apply 1 year in advance)
- October 1: Spring study abroad programs (Ragsdale/Tuck)
- March 1: Fall, Summer, Travel Study (January/Spring Break/May) or Academic Year programs (Ragsdale/Tuck)
Bonjour! My name is Albrianna Jenkins, and I recently got back from my semester abroad in France! Last spring, I had the opportunity to take part in the Languages and Cultures Program in Caen, France, and it was a TRANSFORMATIONAL experience!
Before my semester abroad, I’d never lived outside of Tennessee and had never traveled outside of the United States. Within those five months of living abroad, I gained personal insight into the French culture, I developed independence while improving my ability to adapt (and speak French), and I formed meaningful and long-lasting relationships with my classmates, locals, and other travelers.
I had a desire to develop a larger perspective of the world to truly carry out Maryville College’s mission statement on a global scale to “search for truth, grow in wisdom, and work for justice and dedicate a life of creativity and service to the peoples of the WORLD.” My time abroad allowed me to develop a sense of purpose, a passion for understanding, and a personal growth.
My experience propels me to advocate the importance of an international perspective, and after graduation, I hope to continue growing and developing by traveling and transforming even more.
Read more about Albrianna's experiences on our BLOG