Travel Study Programs
May and spring break travel study programs are faculty-led programs that offer MC sophomores, juniors, and seniors alternate study environments, international experiences and exposure to diverse cultures while earning credit towards their degree. The programs have experiential learning as the focus and are typically two- to three-weeks in length. Programs and destinations vary from year to year and there are options to suit most degrees. Spring Break Programs are also travel study programs, but take place during spring break as part of a spring semester course.
Programs for the 2020-21 Academic Year:
ENGLAND - MCScots @ Harlaxton Manor: BUS 329/349 Comparative UK/US Business
BONAIRE: BIO 403 Tropical Ecology
SWITZERLAND: PSY/INT/SOC 249 Global Child Welfare (CD)
Check out our VOLUNTEER ABROAD Program in Costa Rica in May 2021
Programs for the 2021-22 Academic Year:
- AMSTERDAM: PSY/SOC 249: Sex and Society - Cultural Comparisons Between the US and the Netherlands (CD)
- GREECE: WRC 370 Isles of Greece: Arts, Science, and Sports, Greece (May) (CD)
- DENMARK/ICELAND/SWEDEN: SUS 249: In Search of Hygge Through Design and Sustainability in Scandinavia
How Travel Study Works
- One to two faculty members accompany a group of Maryville students on a short-term (10 days to 3 weeks) study abroad program
- Get 3+ academic credits, and fulfill a variety of MC degree requirements.
- This is an interactive learning experience. You are not sitting in a classroom abroad, but learning about the course topic with the international destination as your classroom.
- Read about individual programs via the links on the left toolbar!
- Look for the (CD) designation. This course replaces a WRC 370 and fulfills the Core domain in Cultural and Intercultural Dynamics (even if it isn't called WRC)
Who can participate?
You! Travel Study programs are open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors.
Registration & Application:
Please follow the below instructions to apply for a Travel Study program. Do not miss our application deadlines!
You may list up to 4 preferences on the travel study program application. You are encouraged to select more than one site as this improves your chances of being placed on a travel study program. Only list programs you would be happy to be selected for. You will be considered first for your first place site.
Selection will be conducted by the faculty leaders. Selection decisions are based upon the entire application packet: application, essay, references, GPA, student conduct, etc. In addition, faculty leaders look for a match between the student's goals and the goals of the programs. The selection process varies by program. However, applicants should be prepared for an interview as part of the acceptance process.
Each program may have specific requirements to meet based on the nature of the program.
Get More Information:
- Travel Study Program Information Meeting: Meetings will take place during early Fall 20189(Watch Today@MC for information)
- Talk to Faculty Leaders about the program you are interested in.
How to Apply
- Complete the online Travel Study faculty-led program application form
- Applications due ONLINE by October 1 by 12noon with a $100 application fee. (See refund policy below)
- If you want a scholarship: Complete the Travel Study scholarship application form too! They will will be due to the Center for International Education (International House) by October 1. Scholarship deadlines will not be extended for late applicants
|Application Available||Now||Apply Online|
|Application Deadline||October 1, noon||All online materials, including scholarship application must be submitted by 12noon|
|Interviews Begin||October 5 - 9||All students will interview with the faculty leader(s)|
|Notification of Acceptance (and scholarship)||Monday, October 26||Via email before 5:00pm|
|Confirmation of Acceptance Due||November 2, noon||Confirmation of acceptance with $200 deposit due by 12noon|
|Payment 1 Due||December 1, noon||50% of payment due by 12noon|
|Final Payment Due||February 1, noon||Remaining balance due (full balance must be paid at this time)|
|Mandatory CIE Orientation||3 part WEBINAR||Required for all participants. Quiz due by Feb 15th|
|Program Specific Pre-departure||TBD||To be determined by Leaders|
Refunds & Commitment
Students who are not selected will receive a refund of this application fee. Otherwise it is non-refundable. If you decline a place offered to you it is non-refundable. Visit here for more information on our Travel Study Withdrawal Policies
*Sample Confirmation of Commitment Paperwork you will be asked to sign when you make a deposit.