Study Away (U.S.A. Travel) Programs
Study Away programs are faculty-led programs that offer MC sophomores, juniors, and seniors alternate study environments in various places in the United States, while earning credit towards their degree. The programs have experiential learning as the focus and are typically two- to three-weeks in length. Programs and destinations vary from year to year and there are options to suit most degrees. Most opportunities to travel are in May-term.
How it Works:
- One to two faculty members accompany a group of Maryville students on a short-term (10 days to 3 weeks) traveling study program
- Get 3+ academic credits, and fulfill a variety of MC degree requirements.
- This is an interactive learning experience. You are not sitting in a classroom abroad, but learning about the course topic with a U.S. destination as your classroom.
- Read about individual programs via the links on the left toolbar or above!
- Look for the different core designations. (e.g. US for US Pluralism)
Who can participate?
You! Study Away programs are open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors.
Registration & Application:
Selection will be conducted by the faculty leaders. Selection decisions are based upon the entire application packet: application, essay, references, GPA, student conduct, etc. In addition, faculty leaders look for a match between the student's goals and the goals of the programs. The selection process varies by program. However, applicants should be prepared for an interview as part of the acceptance process.
Each program may have specific requirements to meet based on the nature of the program.
Get More Information:
- Information Meeting: Meetings will take place during Spring 2018 and early Fall 2018 (Watch Today@MC for information)
- Talk to Faculty Leaders about the program you are interested in.
- Study Away faculty-led program application form (Link Coming Soon)
- Applications due ONLINE by October 22 by 12noon with a $100 application fee. This fee will be used towards the cost of the program.
What? When? How?
Friday, September 1
Monday, October 22, 2018 @12noon
Application must be submitted by 12noon
Wednesday, October 3 – Friday, October 26
All students will interview with the faculty leader(s)
Notification of Acceptance
Monday, November 5
Via email before 5:00pm
Confirmation of Acceptance Due
November 12, Noon
Confirmation of acceptance with $200 deposit due by 12noon
Payment 1 Due
Monday, December 10, Noon
50% of Payment due (Full balance may be paid at this time) before 12noon.
Final Payment Due
February 1, Noon
Remaining balance due
Program Specific Pre-Departure Orientation
As determined by faculty leaders.
REFUND POLICY: Students who are not selected will receive a refund of this application fee. Otherwise, it is non-refundable. For example, if you decline a place offered to you it is non-refundable.