Maryville College is blessed by the faithful, active relationships with The Presbytery of East TN, The Synod of Living Waters, many regional Presbyterian churches, and Presbyterian churches around the country. In addition, church relationships at MC reflect the widely diverse faith communities represented in our student body. We are grateful for these relationships and are also fully committed to serving the church in a variety of ways. Mutually beneficial initiatives include a range of activities from immediate support for particular needs to long-term investment in developing leadership for the church. Together we can make a difference in the lives of students, the church, the community, and the world.
How The College Serves Faith Communities
- Maryville Adventures in Studying Theology (MAST) serves as a resource to the church community by offering programs which focus on youth ministry, leadership, and continuing education.
- Many Maryville College students intern, volunteer, and work as part-time staff for church programs as part of Service and Church-Related scholarships; if you're interested in bringing an MC student into your community in any capacity, please contact Kathleen Farnham.
- Students, faculty, and staff are available for pulpit supply for worship and guest speakers on a broad range of topics.
- Maryville College's covenant with the Presbyterian Church (USA) inspires two unique conversations: one around what it means to be "called' to college with our admissions team and another around the significance of one's vocation with our career counseling team.
- Maryville College offers extensive opportunities for local communities to become involved in the campus art and music scene through its open invitation to enjoy Concert Choir, Voices of Praise, Off Kilter and Clayton Center for the Arts events.
- Maryville College offers discounted rates for use of a variety of facilities for church meetings and retreats, including residential facilities for service camps/mission trips.
How Faith Communities Can Support The College
- Come visit us!
- Select high school students for Expanding Horizons, a summer. leadership & theology retreat for high school youth.
- Support a Service or Church-Related Scholarship as an investment in outstanding church leadership.
- Provide a summer internship, or youth or choir internship during the school year. (See Handshake for ways to post job listings!)
- Host the choir, an alternative spring break, or a bike trip at your church. if you're interested in bringing an MC student into your community in any capacity, please contact Kathleen Farnham.
- Nominate a church leader, pastor, or youth leader to participate in the college's Board of Church Visitors!
- Display Maryville College materials in youth rooms and church gathering places....and of course...encourage your students to include MC in their college search!