Students without English Proficiency test scores or with scores below our minimum requirements (see below) can apply to be conditionally admitted. This means that upon arrival, the student takes an English test and based on the results of the test, the student will follow one of the following paths:
- If the test scores are very low, the student will be admitted into our Intensive English Pathway Program and will take ESL coursework full-time until his/her English level is sufficient for undergraduate study, either the following January or August when undergraduate classes next start.
- If the scores show that the student is very close to the required minimum score, the student may be able to take both ESL and undergraduate classes. (for credit)
- If the student’s scores meet the minimum criteria, the student may start undergraduate classes without additional ESL instruction.
It is recommended that students who know or suspect they need further English language training, make plans to attend our ESL program during the summer or semester to their desired college start date. Find out more about our Intensive English Pathway Program.
- TOEFL IBT score of 74 (with no sub score below 18) or CBT score of 200 or paper-based score above 525 combined with demonstrated competency in essay writing
- IELTS band score of 6.5 or higher
- EIKEN (Step) score of Grade Pre-1
- iTEP Academic score of 3.9
- PTE Academic score of 50
- Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency score of 74
If you have any questions regarding TOEFL test dates and locations, please visit www.toefl.org
IELTS is jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), British Council and IDP Education Australia, IELTS Australia. Please visit www.ielts.com.au if you have any questions.
For EIKEN/Step test, please visit www.stepeiken.org.
Find more information on their website itepexam.com
Find more information here.
*If you do not have English proficiency test scores at the time of application, we will offer you "conditional admission" You will be tested upon arrival at Maryville College and placed into appropriate classes depending on your scores here. Students who pass the proficiency exam can begin taking college-level courses and students who need more English training will be enrolled in the Intensive English (ESL) Pathway program. Successful completion of each 5-week ESL course offers 3 Maryville College credits toward your degree at Maryville College.
Conditional Admissions Application Information:
Applying is easy. Students who wish to be conditionally admitted use the standard Maryville College international student application. Find out more about application requirements.