Maryville College currently has international cooperation agreements with various different institutions abroad. If you are a student at one of our partner institutions looking for more information, this information is designed to help you. If you are not a student at one of our partner institutions, we also welcome visiting students. Please submit the application materials listed below and contact email@example.com for more information.
There are 3 different ways to study at Maryville College:
- Regular Classes Taught in English
New students must demonstrate English proficiency prior to start of classes at Maryville College. We accept the below English proficiency test scores for unconditional admission into regular coursework with Maryville College students.
- Bridge/Pathway Program
International exchange students without English proficiency test scores or with scores below our minimum requirements can choose to take English as a Second Language classes in the morning, and college classes in the afternoon. Intensive English classes are worth 9 U.S. credits and students can take up to 6 additional credits in regular classes.
- Full-Time Intensive English Program
International students may choose to study full-time in our Intensive English program. This program offers 375 hours/semester of Intensive English coursework.
Exchange Student Eligibility
Maryville College welcomes international exchange students from all over the world. We're delighted that you are interested in studying at Maryville College (MC), Maryville, TN for a semester or year.
In order to be admitted as an exchange student to Maryville College, you must be nominated by your home institution. Please contact your study abroad advisor before downloading the application materials.
You are eligible to come to MC as an exchange student if:
- MC has signed an agreement with your home institution and you have been chosen by your school to come here. For a list of institutions with whom MC has agreements, go here.
- Your school is a member of the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) and you have been accepted to come here.
- You have a TOEFL score of 74 (IBT), 200 (CBT) or 525 (paper), an IELTS band score of 6.5 or an iTEP Academic score of 3.9 will verify that you are proficient enough in English to begin College classes immediately upon arrival without the need to enter our intensive English program. In some cases a language proficiency report from your institution may be accepted in lieu of the TOEFL score for exchange students. (see above ways to study at Maryville College if you don't have a language proficiency score)
- You have a minimum GPA of the equivalent of a 2.5/4.0
You are eligible to come to MC as a visiting student if:
- You want to study for 1 academic year
- You have a minimum GPA of 2.75/4.0
- You have a TOEFL score of 74 (IBT), 200 (CBT) or 525 (paper), an IELTS band score of 6.5 or an iTEP Academic score of 3.9 will verify that you are proficient enough in English to begin College classes immediately upon arrival without the need to enter our intensive English program. In some cases a language proficiency report from your institution may be accepted in lieu of the TOEFL score for exchange students.
- We will offer scholarships based on merit.
*We offer an English proficiency exam on site upon arrival to determine admission into college or placement into our Intensive English Bridge/Pathway Program.
Exchange/Visiting Student Application Process
1. Nomination Letter from Home Institution (or a reference letter if you do not attend one of our partner institutions)
****NOTE: on the online application - choose NON-DEGREE
3. Financial Documentation: financial documents (bank statements, letters from employers, etc.) showing the student has the funding needed for his/her semester or year of study with your application form. As an exchange student the documentation needs to show that he/she has the ability to pay for books, personal expenses etc.
Personal expenses per semester are estimated at $800. Students should budget for the following costs per semester:
- General Refundable Deposit; $100
- Refundable Housing Deposit: $100;
- Books: $600 per semester; & Supplies: $100 per semester.
- Insurance: $550 per semester
- Room: $2, 837 - $4,018 per semester. (if not part of exchange agreement)
- Board:$2,211 - $2,875 per semester. (if not part of exchange agreement)
- Students should budget for extra money if they are planning to travel while living in the USA.
4. Official Transcript
5. Personal Statement - instructions on application form
6. Demonstration of Language Proficiency.
Please EITHER submit
- a TOEFL report (minimum score 74 with all subsections over 18), or
- an IELTS score of 6.5, or
- have this FORM completed by an appropriate person at your home institution. There is a recent change in exchange visitor regulations that requires us to have documented proof of language proficiency.
Have your home institution send the application form and all required documents to
Center for International Information
502 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway
Maryville, TN USA
Please send application materials by April 15 for Fall semester and by October 15 for the Spring semester. We will accept applications on a rolling basis after this date, but this is subject to space availability and you will usually need to complete your application process at least 2 - 4 months before you wish to begin, in order to have enough time to get the forms processed, to get your student visa, and make final travel arrangements. Please contact the Center for International Education for more information.
If you are accepted, we will then send our acceptance letter, and immigration documents needed for your student visa application at the US Embassy or consulate to the exchange coordinator at your home institution. Please read information under International Student Services for more information about Maryville College and preparing for your arrival.
ALL new students are given an English proficiency test when they begin studies here; any student without the required scores who does not pass our English proficiency exam may be placed initially into our intensive English program. Those students can begin taking College courses once they have passed the proficiency exam given each semester.